engine rebuild

Rockerrob666

does anyone know how much an engine rebuild would cost (ballpark figure) the engines only done 30k but is a little on the noisey side and I wonder whether something is knocking. Looking at the history, it looks like it's had a clean before and there where signs that the breather pipe blew off the head. duno if I'm being over cautious here but if anyone has an idea and whether it would be worth looking into.

Just to add, it's a 1.6 zetec.

Edited by Rockerrob666

you may be lucky and find a brand new one (bare) for what it may cost to rebuil one.

cough cough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ford-Zetec-E...=item3a7d64273e

another

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0L-Zetec-Black...=item43b7cdad49

these may not be suitable but just shows you can get a brand new one for roughly half the price of a rebuild.

that add links in with the 'phase' abuse i got on another topic

what do you mean dude? must have missed something there?

Not looking for an engine conversion or anything, just wondering how much I would be looking for basically, the 'ultimate service'. I'm pretty sure that the car was not maintained properly by it's female previous owner. although it's really low mileage and the bodywork is in really excellent condition (1 minor floor which wwill be sorted when the weather gets better and I have a few dry days) the engine isn't as smooth as my last one - there's nothing seriously wrong with it, just want to sort out any problems there may be before they get worse, if you know what I mean. (getting ready for the screams of NOOOOOOOOOOO!) but was thinking of taking it to the dealers for a full service and check over. what do people think?

I wouldn't take an old car to a dealership today.

You think there's a problem but you don't know what, and you're talking about engine rebuilds which is frankly ridiculous.

Stop smoking weed and take it to a mechanic.

taking it to a dealership for a servoce is an epic waste of money. whats the difference between me fitting some spark plugs. and mr ford fitting the same plugs?

Because when you 'service' your car on the street outside you house you change the plugs, oil and filters. When a dealership does it they should be a lot more thorough - http://www.cmginfo.net/adv/09audischedmain.pdf

Do you remember to lubricate door and bonnet hinges? Change the brake fluid every 2 years regardless of milage? Check all joints for excessive play without access to a ramp?

The difference, sonny Jim, is that they are qualified mechanics (usually :roll: ) who are following a service shedule advised by the manufacturer.

**Edit, I don't know if I'd take an old car that has had a tough life to a dealership, but you'd be very surprised at some of the fixed price servicing deals most dealerships do for old cars. It's not ridiculous.

Edited by sidrick

taking it to a dealership for a servoce is an epic waste of money. whats the difference between me fitting some spark plugs. and mr ford fitting the same plugs?

Because when you 'service' your car on the street outside you house you change the plugs, oil and filters. When a dealership does it they should be a lot more thorough - http://www.cmginfo.net/adv/09audischedmain.pdf

Do you remember to lubricate door and bonnet hinges? Change the brake fluid every 2 years regardless of milage? Check all joints for excessive play without access to a ramp?

The difference, sonny Jim, is that they are qualified mechanics (usually :roll: ) who are following a service shedule advised by the manufacturer.

**Edit, I don't know if I'd take an old car that has had a tough life to a dealership, but you'd be very surprised at some of the fixed price servicing deals most dealerships do for old cars. It's not ridiculous.

ok sid in fairness no i dont check all the joints lol. but i do change coolant and brake fluid etc. in fact im doin the brake fluid tomorow. and i lubricate all the door hinges and boot hinges etc whenever ive got a can of spray grease in my hand. which is fairly often seeing as i own a bike (chain maintenence and the like)

and stus right as well. at 30 odd k rob ur never gna need a rebuild lol

Drop all the oil out of it and it soon would!

I have a funny feeling something like that has happened, It's obvious that it's been cleaned and there are signs of oil around the breather hose attachment at the top of the block??? somethings happened in the past. how do you put videos up and I'll try and film some audio of what I mean.

Ford do a fixed price service for older cars for £99 which tbh I was very nicely suprised about (didn't realise till I checked) or a fuller service for £139. my local charges me £150 normally, parts may be more but just for a service and health check report????? worth thinking about.

Edited by Rockerrob666

i know of a focus that went for about 3 months with no oil in it and still runs fine today.......extremely lucky i guess

i know of a focus that went for about 3 months with no oil in it and still runs fine today.......extremely lucky i guess

Just because the dip stick doesn't show the level, doesn't mean there was no oil :P

Just because the dip stick doesn't show the level, doesn't mean there was no oil :P

no it was empty trust me lol when u undo the sump plug and less than a tea cups worth comes out......

Edited by scottybo

no it was empty trust me lol when u undo the sump plug and less than a tea cups worth comes out......

Judging by the way this guy treats it, perhaps the sludge build up was sufficient to keep it from running dry. Even then it's unlikely.