Front struts

tomsy

I've picked up some chrome tops for my front struts and was hoping to fit them tomorrow, is it ok to just undo the nut in the centre of the strut. I know if the strut is off the car you need to fit spring compressors.

noooooo :-o i wouldnt do that if i was you seen someone do that and the spring fired into the arch and was a pain inthe backside to put right. best to just take them off and do it that way :thumb:

I've picked up some chrome tops for my front struts and was hoping to fit them tomorrow, is it ok to just undo the nut in the centre of the strut. I know if the strut is off the car you need to fit spring compressors.

noooooo :-o i wouldnt do that if i was you seen someone do that and the spring fired into the arch and was a pain inthe backside to put right. best to just take them off and do it that way :thumb:

but saying that the three bolts on the outside may hold it all in place try losening the centre bolt alittle first to see what happens and to see if there is any tension there then take it from there when i seen it done all the outside bolts were off maybe thats why it fired into the arch

afair.......... aslong as the cars wheels are sat on the floor with the cars weight evenly down on them (ergo not on a hill) you should be fine to ease the nut off carefully.

however, as that nut does essentially hold the entire strut and spring assembly together its advisable not to shift the car at all while the nuts loose.....meaning.... while your doing it, dont lean on the car, dont push on the car, dont do anything that will cause the suspension strut to shift even the slightest while the nuts loose.

if your careful about it you can get away with taking the nut off and back on without spring compressors or strut removal, even so!, after you've re-tightened the nut make sure to check the spring ends are still seated in their respective moulded grooves at either end of the strut.

the last thing you want is to be driving along and your spring to pop out its seat, if it does'nt damage your motor just by doing that it'll certainly damage the seat of your pants when you shot blast them from fright.