In car PC - GPS Blootooth etc

Timmy C

I am working on a Car PC too. Which will use a Mini-ITX motherboard, which are VERY small.

It will use an IDE to compact flash adapter, eliminating vibrations that can cause problems to hard drives and laptops.

Because compact flash cards are solid state Windows or the software you choose will load in under 15 seconds and access files instantly.

It will be controlled by a touch screen monitor, be able to be powered on remotely (to load before I get to the car, or if I am in my room), have wireless network connection to allow my bed room pc to connect to it and transfer files without me needing to leave my room.

Currently looking into an electric windows interface to allow the windows to be controlled by the touch screen monitor, voice controlled or by the pc in my room.

I am trying to get hold of some software I know of, that runs on home made robots and learns commands you program it, this software will also recognize faces and objects and learn from these. A motorised face tracking web cam is available from computer shops, which will aid in this.

It will have the ability to speak back (should I choose, lol), using Microsoft Agent Technology. I will be programming some things in Visual basic, such as the interface and other custom bits.

I know of a power controller that these motherboards use, that will allow, timed shutdown, keep the pc running when you go to get petrol and have turned the ingnition off, stuff like that.

I have not had time to list everything, lol, and when I get home I will hunt out some links I know of, which people may find useful. Been researching and working on this for nearly two years now. :thumb:

a car i saw at classic car show last yr had an apple mac laptop set in his dash, well actually there was a special place made for it near the handbrake cuz the whole thing was custom built lol, controlled all his audio etc....awesome idea but not very practical on an every day car Edited by Scotteh

I knocked up something similar for my old MR2.. Via M10000 mini-itx based.. bluetooth for gprs/web access, 7" lcd, wireless keyboard+trackball combo, usb gps, blah blah..

some pics :)

carpc_01.jpg

carpc_02.jpg

carpc_03.jpg

carpc_04.jpg

Still got the screen if anyone is after one.. not touch-screen..

8)