Anyone Seen Redline Mags Guide to Zetec Tuning?

Tez162003

Well who is a magazine to dictate the different 'stages' of tuning when they know nothing about anything? If you were to have stages, the ones the magazines talk about are completely wrong anyway.

Here are the 'stages', as I see it.. (turbo)..

Stage 1 = Standard rods, forged pistons, standard head, T3 turbo = 270bhp (limit of rods+turbo)

Stage 2 = Steel rods, forged pistons, standard head, T34 turbo = 310bhp (limit of head)

Stage 3 = Steel rods, forged pistons, Ported head, T34 turbo = 380bhp (limit of turbo)

Stage 4 = lots of custom parts, anything up to 550bhp

They are meaningful, but stages suck anyway.

Edited by Stu

I read the first page, then got bored. What a crock of Shite :roll:

This is why people know bog all about power figures, random figures plucked out of the air and put into print for Mr 1.1 Saxo to read :rolleyes:

The mods they suggest, in some part are ok, but they could have got that information from anywhere. The power gains they quote are way out, but that was no surprise at all.

I couldn't be bothered to read any more of it than the first couple of 'stages'.

If you want to tune a Zetec, ask people who've actually done it IMO, magazine guides are mostly worthless!

diameter of the inside. using a 2.0MAF on a 1.4 will improve it surely. The hole inside a 1.4 maf is 1/3 the size of the 2.0 one so surely u'd see increased airflow. Its the same for the 1.6 (it is noticeably bigger therfore will flow more air) (obviously u want to keep the sensor that came with the engine as that is calibrated for that ECU)

LOL

diameter of the inside. using a 2.0MAF on a 1.4 will improve it surely. The hole inside a 1.4 maf is 1/3 the size of the 2.0 one so surely u'd see increased airflow. Its the same for the 1.6 (it is noticeably bigger therfore will flow more air) (obviously u want to keep the sensor that came with the engine as that is calibrated for that ECU)

Let's bring out Engines 101. A N/A engine will only consume what it wants to. This is called 'Volumetric Efficiency'. Something in an engine, something inbetween the air filter and the exhaust tailpipe will be the restrictive factor which limits the VE at a given point. Enlarging random parts of the inlet or exhaust tract does not improve anything, unless it's the most restrictive part of the system.

use the hose example!!

if you have a length of hose which has a small restrictor in it, regardless of any other factors the most water that will come thru that hose will be decided by the size of the restrictor. now even if you use a much wider hose, no more water will pass through because the restriction was never in the hose in the 1st place, but in the restrictor. therefore, in order for this particular length of pipe to flow any better, only the weakest part of the system (the restrictor) must be modified (at which point another part of the system will be the restriction.
Edited by reid

Another example of why I don't buy sh*t mags for the chavs :roll: :roll:

Stages as Stu said are bollox, everyone has different "stages" :rolleyes: Just tell them the power figure your after and what you want out of it. Mine has 372/373 because I wanted a matched figure as it's a track car, I could have more bhp but it would reduce my torque on the current setup. Most decent tuners I've spoke to don't use all that stage b*llox because that's what it is...b*llox. Redline......a valuable source of information :roll: