getting a pink car back to red

gers1873

some parts of my car are a bit pink, had a go with t cut yesterday, helped a bit but still not every panel matches.

seen on tv guys using a mop and that g3 stuff, is this the only/best way to restore the colour?

dont really want the expense of buying one of those polishing mops though, seen them for about £100 :eek:

When I was 13, I MOP'd a Lancia Delta GTie back from pink to red using G3 and a range of 3M polishes specially designed for MOP'ing, which I still use to this day. If I could do it then, anyone can. I did have a load of pictures of that car, but they're all on an old PC. I did post them up on this forum back in 2003, but they're long since lost. I can definitely say it looked a shed before and looked like it'd had a respray by the time I'd finished. 2 days work

:cheers:

Edited by Mike C

My car had gone a horrible colour of pink especially on the bonnet.

Had someone I knew round to look at it, this is what he recommend/told me to do, and it has come up a treat.

Don't use T Cut, ever. Apparently it contains ammonia which damages the paintwork even further.

1.Wash the car properly using a decent shampoo (I used Zymol). Wash little bits at a time and rinse very often.

2.Dry using a micro fibre cloth.

3.Use Autoglym paint renovator

4.Then use a top quality wax to 'seal it' (I used Meguiars Liquid wax)

Like I said has come up brilliant. I didn't use a mop, as I prefer to do it myself, don't trust some of these cheaper ones tbh, and wasn't about to fork out £250+ on a good one. It did take quite a while though, would guess somewhere about 4 hours or so to do inside as well.

Just a word of warning about the G3 compound though. It is a very harsh and abrasive product apparently. It is not recommended that you use it more than once or twice on a car in its life time. It is really supposed to be used when the car has just been sprayed.

Just a word of warning about the G3 compound though. It is a very harsh and abrasive product apparently. It is not recommended that you use it more than once or twice on a car in its life time. It is really supposed to be used when the car has just been sprayed.

Hi G3 is fine but it is best to spray the panel before and during the process with water and mask up any plastic/rubber parts as it aint easy to get out after, most places will charge approx £80+ for a decent job