External Raid Enclosure

Hezz

if youre going to build a RAID setup, make sure you do it properly. id stay away from software controllers (eh stu :rolleyes: ).

check out the system i made here. It started out as a media pc hooked up to a 2Tb server sat in my cupboard via a wired cat5e network. worked great for a while, but there are a million things that can go wrong with RAID setups, so i ended up getting rid and building an htpc that has all my drives in one enclosure (mine can hold up to 11 HDD's).

the software on that site is ace as well if youre looking for a front end for your films, music and photos etc.

cheers :cheers:

eetaylog - there are a couple of gaffs in your write up you may not be aware of:

- if you have 4x 1tb drives in a raid 5 array, you have 3tb, not 2tb as stated

- raid 0 is not sync'ing your drives with each other (not sure if i've understood you properly though)

always use hardware raid cards not crappy software :(

like what you've done with the wall and tv :drool:

eetaylog - there are a couple of gaffs in your write up you may not be aware of:

- raid 0 is not sync'ing your drives with each other (not sure if i've understood you properly though)

i can see why you thought i meant that, but i said id need at least 2Tb of storage, which would mean 4x500Tb in RAID5.

I cant see where ive said that raid0 is syncing?

have you decided what to do yet? i ended up getting rid of the raid setup because doing it properly (with hardware controllers) is a bit expensive, so im now just running seperate 1Tb drives, which i can add to whenever i want, and ill just manually make a backup of each one as i go along. Very long winded way of going about it, but i think its a bit more stable than continuing with software controllers.

By the way, have you thought about using a NAS? its pretty expensive but ive heard good things about Drobo. its a hot swappable raid controller unit. you can even use different sized HDD's and use all of the space on each of them (if you use different sized drives in most other raid sets, you sacrifice disk space on the larger disks).

Out of interest, I have some 250, 500 and 1TB HD's for sale :)

used?

The 250/500's are out of old servers of mine and are fine.. the 1TB have only been used for a couple of weeks. Got two of those.

7x250, 8x500 and 2x1tb.. and a couple of 'server' cases with lots of drive bays!!

i can see why you thought i meant that, but i said id need at least 2Tb of storage, which would mean 4x500Tb in RAID5.

Actually for atleast 2048GB you will need 6x500TB as you lose 1 with RAID5 and with Formatting you will lose a chunk.

Edited by bluliz

if youre going to build a RAID setup, make sure you do it properly. id stay away from software controllers (eh stu :rolleyes: ).

check out the system i made here. It started out as a media pc hooked up to a 2Tb server sat in my cupboard via a wired cat5e network. worked great for a while, but there are a million things that can go wrong with RAID setups, so i ended up getting rid and building an htpc that has all my drives in one enclosure (mine can hold up to 11 HDD's).

the software on that site is ace as well if youre looking for a front end for your films, music and photos etc.

Thats awesome, I cant wait to do something like this once I have finished Uni and got my own place long term, currently my laptop is just used for everything!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of in the cubbord.

Gadge- if you have a cupboard/server/nerd fetish, here's a few piccies of my old junk, in chronological order ;) :-

http://di.cx/gallery/d/5434-2/stuff_040.jpg

http://di.cx/gallery/d/5278-2/batcave_005.jpg

http://di.cx/gallery/d/5401-2/stu_d50_160307.jpg

http://di.cx/gallery/d/17555-2/IMAGE_088.jpg

http://di.cx/gallery/d/17814-2/img0009.jpg

http://di.cx/gallery/d/17976-2/mini-me%20004.JPG

Sorry for the hijack ;)

Actually for atleast 2048GB you will need 6x500TB as you lose 1 with RAID5 and with Formatting you will lose a chunk.

sorry yeah i meant 4x1Tb drives in raid5 for at least 2Tb storage

Gadge- if you have a cupboard/server/nerd fetish, here's a few piccies of my old junk, in chronological order ;) :-

Sorry for the hijack ;)

haha cheers!

some nice stuff there, so what you using them for?

I miss all my old "junk" my mother threw it all out when I moved out 2 years ago :nutter:

eetaylog - where did you pick up that case your using for your media centre?