Brian Clough

sidrick

Agree, understated by lots, but realized by many as what could of been an incredibly successful international manager.

Shame we never got to see his complete potential, used to love watching his interviews, some classic moments.

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." Looking back at his success.

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhea." On Man Utd opting-out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship.

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." On dealing with Roy Keane.

"I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that's exactly what I would have done." On not getting the England manager's job.

Edited by PeeWee

Shame we never got to see his complete potential

Pete, he won two consecutive European Cups...... with Nottingham Forest.....

Perhpas he could have won the World Cup with England, but it's difficult to argue he never reached his potential.

Yeah, i did read back over it then still opted to keep the comment, i was actually referring to the possibility of international success so completing is overall success (world cup being the ultimate managing dream)?

I do have mixed feelings too about the guy, not all of his quotes were acceptable but i don't want to really steer this topic in that direction.

Edited by PeeWee

Arrogant because he earned the right to be just that....

Great bloke and scared me stupid as a kid :)

Actually a nice man once you got past the guard he had.

Shame he pickled himself though :(

My mother used to take me to see him and the whole team (Derby County) once a year, at her workplace...

Had more bloody brian clough and derby county autographs from the 70s than i care to remember :roll:

thought he was a great manager. I was quite young when he was around but i do remember him. He certainly had a lot of charisma and a very dry sense of humour. A shame really because the game needs someone like him, most of the managers today are boring. Only 1 manager i could think of who was similar and kept people guessing what they would do next is jose mourinho

thought he was a great manager. I was quite young when he was around but i do remember him. He certainly had a lot of charisma and a very dry sense of humour. A shame really because the game needs someone like him, most of the managers today are boring. Only 1 manager i could think of who was similar and kept people guessing what they would do next is jose mourinho

I couldn't help thinking that too when Mourinho arrived on the scene.

You can pretty much say what you want when you're successful. Otherwise you just look like an idiot like Phil Brown.

Legend. The bloke did what no other manager will ever do again, I always, always have to say to Man Utd fans at work that are blabbering on about Ferguson etc that yeah, he is a great manager, but how long did it take him to get a great team to win things!? Clough motivated players like no one else could, as said above, he earned the right to be Ol' Big Ed by playing great DISCIPLINED football, just how the game USED to be played....Rooney and gang could learn alot by watching the Forest team of the late 70's! (And, dare i say it his Derby side..argh!!!)