Overclocking problem

foxdie

I've been running my Q6600 at 3.2ghz for several months. set at 8 x 400mhz with memory strapped to 1:1. Voltages were left on auto as my mobo suffers from terrible vdroop. Its gigabyte P35 mobo.

Turn it on today and it booted at 8 x 266. which was weird, so i went straight into bios to check the settings and all my settings were there as above. So i thought it must be a fluke, so i rebooted again. and again it booted up at 8 x 266. So i defaulted it all. Boots up at 9 x 266 which is the correct defualt clocks for my cpu. So then i went back into bios to put my proven OC specs in. 8 x 400 etc etc. rebooted again boots back up at 8 x266. It wont even except any increase/or decrease in CPU clock

It appears either my mobo, or cpu is no longer responding to cmos changes to the CPU clock. i can change the multiplier, but the changes to the Clock do not take effect - it stays like its locked to 266.

Your help with this overly frustrating problem is much apprecieated.

have you tried another CMOS battery? Looks like it is forgetting some settings.

+1. was gonna suggest that. do your settings revert to default when you go back into CMOS after youve changed to the overclocked values?

Its not the CMOS battery - the settings are being saved but are being ignored.

The CMOS battery doesn't settings these days, it's purely for the real-time clock (RTC)... BIOS settings are flashed to EEPROM..

This is more than likely caused by something becoming 'tired' on your motherboard.. a bad cap or something which is reducing the capabilities of the voltage regulators on the board which is stopping you overclocking as far as you did before..

Hve u disabled all the usuall stuff such as Intel Speedstep etc.

Make sure you disable all safety functions. Then try overclocking in small increments, testing the clock in Orthos and keeping an eye on the clocks in CPU-Z.

If the clocks drop when the test is running then something is resetting your clocks back to default.

Hve u disabled all the usuall stuff such as Intel Speedstep etc.

Make sure you disable all safety functions. Then try overclocking in small increments, testing the clock in Orthos and keeping an eye on the clocks in CPU-Z.

If the clocks drop when the test is running then something is resetting your clocks back to default.

It wont post at anything above standard.

what temps ya q6600 at paul? on standard speeds etc?

what cooler you use also?

i fixed the problem by the way.

@3.2ghz (400x8) on a 20+ ambient day:

CPU cooler artic freezer 7.

Max temps under 4x100% stress tests

CPU temp = 63'c

System temp 50'c

GTX285 temp 70'c

Core1 = 71'c

Core2 = 71'c

Core3 = 64'c

Core4 = 63'c

Thats with Silverstone L13 HTPC case with i would say 10% ventatlation. 2x80mm fans ventalating to rear, with about 2cm rear access around back and sides.