Laptop recommendations

eetaylog

Ive havent bought a laptop for years as ive only ever used desktops. I want to get one now though but the market has moved on a bit, so can anyone recommend a decent one please.

Im looking to spend around £400 and it has to be either Sony, Dell or Toshiba as i can get them through work, and i want the minimum specs to be:

- Dual Core Processor (core2duo ideally, but id like it to be at least 2Mb Cache)

- 2Gb RAM

- WiFi connectivity

- At least 15" screen

Other than that though im not really fussed about the specs, i can upgrade the HDD and optical drives if need be.

Ive been having a look around, and the Dell inspirons and Sony Vaio's look good.

Ideas?

:cheers:

i like sony stuff but id never buy a sony laptop. over expensive for the same stuff as everyone else... personally id buy a dell out of the options youve chosen. best driver support out of the 3 as well IMO

ive heard that some laptops dont have much driver support for downgrading to XP, do you know if that applies to the Dells as this is probably what ill do because of vista compatability issues with some software ive got that i need to use.

I'd go for Toshiba out of those options.

Yeah theyre pretty good, the only problem with them is that theyre a bit bulky looking?

Oh, and one other problem ive spotted is that the Dell inspirons dont seem to have wifi as standard, you have to pay a few quid extra to upgrade from the standard Dell wireless 1397 card. Not sure if this type of connectivity is capable of broadband speeds?

Second in from the left...

Edited by eetaylog

Click Here

2nd one across... id say thats the most bang youd get for your buck :D

That one is the one from my link above, but im not sure about the wifi connection it has. It says it comes with a dell wireless 1397 card as standard and you have to pay extra to upgrade to full wifi. Is the standard card any good compared to wifi?

Click Here

That one is the one from my link above, but im not sure about the wifi connection it has. It says it comes with a dell wireless 1397 card as standard and you have to pay extra to upgrade to full wifi. Is the standard card any good compared to wifi?

the standard card is the same as in most laptops.

It Just supports b/g Wireless (about 50 feet or so from the router) so less range if you have an N card ( i think you can get about 100ft from the router)

if its just for working in an office the standard card will be more than good enough

Click Here

the standard card is the same as in most laptops.

It Just supports b/g Wireless (about 50 feet or so from the router) so less range if you have an N card ( i think you can get about 100ft from the router)

if its just for working in an office the standard card will be more than good enough

Nice one, its for home use where we ponce off next doors wireless router so should be plenty good enough

:cheers:

I'd hold back a few months until they start putting Windows 7 on them as standard... Save yourself from the Fail OS that is Vista!!

On a serious note - if your gonna be doing loads of media stuff, photoshop, some gaming etc. might be worth keeping your eyes peeled for one with a dedicated graphics chip, rather than shared memory. Vista luuuuurves to eat graphics memory.

I'd hold back a few months until they start putting Windows 7 on them as standard... Save yourself from the Fail OS that is Vista!!

On a serious note - if your gonna be doing loads of media stuff, photoshop, some gaming etc. might be worth keeping your eyes peeled for one with a dedicated graphics chip, rather than shared memory. Vista luuuuurves to eat graphics memory.

That is EXACTLY what i was thinking, tho you can add a 256Mb graphics card for an extra 50 odd quid. I have got a spare one knocking around, but its off a hewlett packard laptop and im not sure if the graphics card slots are the same on different branded laptops?