Anybody here running Linux as an O/S?

iwantacosworth

My last compouter was riddled with viruses etc and so I took everythin off it I needed and I am know considering wiping the computer all together and installing linux as an operating system as the company i bought the computer from no longer exists and I can't get hold of back up copies of windows,keys etc. Anybody here got any advice i.e where to download it/purchase it from.what to look out for etc? Edited by iwantacosworth

Suse is a pretty decent all in one package thats got Open Office, firefox and many other applications built in.

I just tend to find everything on linux takes double the amount of time. We have used suse server in several projects which require high processing power and many clients and it was pretty stable.

Edited by Gadge

Ubuntu linux is one of the most popular linux desktop distributions, very stable and fast.

And the Amarok 1.4 series is the best media player I've ever used, and most of the software I seem to be using on a day to day basis on windows (firefox, thunderbird, VLC etc etc) works flawlessly under linux. Even windows-only programs like Spotify work very well under wine.

Saying that, I couldn't use it on a work computer, the OpenOffice suite just isn't as good as MS Office, especially with regards to excel.

But for surfing, listening to music and generally messing around, I've found I prefer linux to windows.

link Ubuntu

Ubuntu linux is one of the most popular linux desktop distributions, very stable and fast.

.. this week.. next week it'll be one of the other ten gazillion distributions..

(for the record i've had the misfortune of having to use lunix for 13 years now)

You can still sign up for Windows 7 Release candidate (a FREE pre release version of Windows 7) and that's valid for another year at least...

I'm using it as my main OS although i ALWAYS make sure i back ALL of my documents up, just in case...

It's very stable, and pee-easy to use, and doesn't shout at you every time you click the mouse, like Vista does.

If you aren't too familiar with computing, and just use it for fun etc. then any Windows product is much more suitable than Linux. Linux is fine once you know what you are doing, it's just the learning in the first place that gets people...