PC building

Craig855S

Right ladies and gents, looking at getting windows 7 but cant be arsed buying it for this crap laptop so what im gonna do it build a new system,have it downstairs on a workstation and sell the laptop and my old desktop. What is a good spec these days and what do i want to pay for it?

I like at least 500GB hdd,4GB ram,wireless,ok gfx,ok processor.i'd like to play some undemanding games but ones that are currently new..

is the nvidia 7900 gfx card still good?

What's good today will be inferior in 6 months. I'd recommend buying a mid-spec PC and aim to spend around £500-600. That's the best value-for-money, pretty much all of the time.

Do you play games?

What's good today will be inferior in 6 months. I'd recommend buying a mid-spec PC and aim to spend around £500-600. That's the best value-for-money, pretty much all of the time.

+1, but id say that a decent core2duo processor, with 3+Gb of 800MHz DDR2 RAM (have microsoft sorted out the 3Gb RAM limit as per Vista?) with seperate graphics card (with at least 512Mb onboard RAM) and wireless 802.11n card should see you for a few years.

i reckon that quad core processors are a bit OTT to be honest. i run one at work, and to be honest youve got to be running a LOT of processes to justify the extra 2 processor cores.

if you do play games, as stu asked, you may also want to think about a decent cooling system. ive got a scythe mini ninja heatsink and fan sat on my processor at home, which makes it run at around 40degrees when running full screen TV/high quality video, compared to the 50+degrees it was running at with the stock heatsink.

500-600 sounds like a lot to me for a mid range PC? you could build yourself a pretty good one for much less than that.

id go for this chap! read many reviews and these are ace! my mate has just got one, and cant stress how good it is, the components work well together, and the pc has been built to a very high standard! and its from a very well known supplier!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=FS-198-OK

:- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.60GHz Overclocked to 3.00GHz!

:- Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel

:- 500GB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive

:- Nvidia GTS 250 1024MB Graphics Card

Price: £390 inc VAT!

cheap, and ticks the right boxes! bare the 500gb hd, but can always add another 500gb for storage, they are cheap these days :)

or this one: if your an AMD lover, and ATI :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=FS-180-OK

:- AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 245 2.90GHz

:- Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel

:- 500GB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive

:- ATI Radeon 4850 1024MB Graphics Card

Price: £390 Inc VAT!

no hassle of building it, and finding a component doesnt work, its all made and tested for you!

:cheers:

Edit: you will need a wireless card, but they arnt a fortune :)

and my personal opinion, the Intel one would be the winner for me!

Edited by Simonez