1TB External Hard Drives

wwwd

Right, you may remember I started a thread a while ago looking for the cheapest 1TB External HD.

Well it's got to a stage where I need one to backup all my stuff, and I've been looking online for the cheapest.

But the Seagate one's that are coming up have a lot of negative reviews about the failing, etc. which is exactly what I want to avoid!

So can anyone recommend a certain drive (with a link) or company they think produce reliable ones?

Reliability is the most important aspect so I'm willing to pay a bit more for quality.

Me and the girlfriend each have a Western digital elements desktop 1TB HDD which is this one here - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?o...&sa=title#p

They are extremely good and cheap. Tesco had them at £66 the other day I noticed and did consider buying another.

My girlfriend dropped hers the other day about 3-4ft straight onto a hard tiled floor while it was running. I had half expected the drives platters to be physically damaged since it refused to mount.

I thought I would give chkdsk a go anyway and left it running overnight, the next morning the corrupted segments and the MBR had been fixed and the drive was sitting there nicely all working with no apparent data loss.

Me and the girlfriend each have a Western digital elements desktop 1TB HDD which is this one here - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?o...&sa=title#p

They are extremely good and cheap. Tesco had them at £66 the other day I noticed and did consider buying another.

My girlfriend dropped hers the other day about 3-4ft straight onto a hard tiled floor while it was running. I had half expected the drives platters to be physically damaged since it refused to mount.

I thought I would give chkdsk a go anyway and left it running overnight, the next morning the corrupted segments and the MBR had been fixed and the drive was sitting there nicely all working with no apparent data loss.

Thanks for that, it looks good :thumb:

I did read a review that says it has to be converted to NTFS which can take around 6 hours - is that necessary for 500GB drives as well?

Converting to NTFS takes only minutes if not seconds, especially if the drive is empty and you can just preform a quick format.

Quick format - Shorter time, just quickly allows data to be rewritten over

Normal - Takes longer but checks the drives integrity whilst doing the format

it can be done via right clicking on my computer > manage > disk management > format - You just then set it to NTFS and click OK.

as Peewee mentions its down to file sizes, it will refuse to let you copy anything over 4GB and 4GB really isn't all that much

For example if you are making full "backups" then:

A DVD = 4.7GB (single layer)

Dual layer disc (most games) = 8.5GB

Blue Ray disc = 25GB

There is documentation all over the internet for Fat32vsNTFS but really your better off with NTFS.

I am pretty sure they fixed the 32GB limitation back in the days of Windows 98?