Internet problems

Danny1107

switched to talktalk broadband and phone about a week ago and ever since all I've had is problems. so far I'm really not impressed

every time the phone rings or someone uses the phone the internet cuts out, and will be on and off untill the phone is put down, never had this problem before when we were on aol (i know carphone warehouse/talktalk and aol are all the same company, talktalk was cheaper for the same package as we were already on with aol)

its not only when the phone is in use that the internet cuts out, it seems to cut out at least 4 times a day while no one is using the phone aswell, again not sure why, when the internet is working its "ok" but seems slower but it might just be me

any ideas? going to give talktalk a call but thought I'd ask on here first

Not very constructive I know... But Talk Talk are sh1t...

If you've been in the contract less than 14 days... Get out of it!

Send them a recorded delivery letter asking to cancel...

Then go with a better provider.

O2 Unlimited 20mb £9 a/m if your an O2 customer... And it's true unlimited on the BE network (O2 bought BE Broadband) - I download more than 200Gb a month without a single complaint :)

Not very constructive I know... But Talk Talk are sh1t...

If you've been in the contract less than 14 days... Get out of it!

Send them a recorded delivery letter asking to cancel...

Then go with a better provider.

O2 Unlimited 20mb £9 a/m if your an O2 customer... And it's true unlimited on the BE network (O2 bought BE Broadband) - I download more than 200Gb a month without a single complaint :)

will look into that, and yes talktalk are sh1t

mate is on talk talk and he only gets 0.4 mbps d/l speed and they say there is nothing they can do...its his area... yet i live over the road and get 4.0 mbps with sky ... and its free and the only TRUE unlimited provider

i assume you have filters on all sockets?

yes, even changed all the filters to make sure non were faulty

You have filters on everything that's plugged in to the phone sockets in the house?

That's what the problem sounds like to me.

yup, from the main phone socket theres an extention to the downstairs computer desk then a filter and phone, got a phone socket upstairs that has a filter with phone plugged in, then an extention into my room with a filter and the dsl cable for the router plugged into that

moved it back downstairs today with the xbox and its still the same, extention from main phone socket goes to computer desk, then one behind the tv both have filters on the end

tried different filters, different phones, really confusing me now, didnt get round to phoning talktalk will do that tomorrow, will try with my other router aswell, see if that makes a difference

yup, from the main phone socket theres an extention to the downstairs computer desk then a filter and phone, got a phone socket upstairs that has a filter with phone plugged in, then an extention into my room with a filter and the dsl cable for the router plugged into that

moved it back downstairs today with the xbox and its still the same, extention from main phone socket goes to computer desk, then one behind the tv both have filters on the end

tried different filters, different phones, really confusing me now, didnt get round to phoning talktalk will do that tomorrow, will try with my other router aswell, see if that makes a difference

Telephone extensions can mean trouble. Your best plugging your router in via the main socket and using Ethernet cables or the wireless connection to reach other areas of the house/flat/bungalow/cardboard box/shopping trolley + sleeping bag...

If you still have cut outs after this... trying plugging your router in via the test socket (take the first plate off the master socket and plug your router into the socket revealed)... If that works... leave it that way or find a test socket fascia

currently on sky unlimited phone & BB and never once had a complaint despite downloading silly amount the first 2 monthes.

they also informed me that when your supplier is the same for both BB and phone there can be times when the phones use can adversly effect the BB signal and if your home is fitted with two seperate BT sockets (upstair & downstairs) that are not extentions of each other but actual seperate sockets wired directly to your homes BT exterior box it is more advisable to have your phone plugged in one and router in the other.

Ive not got a complaint against them myself, theyve been very honest from day one, even when I ordered 20mb unlimited they phoned me before confirming the contract and told me outright that using the BT network will only allow me a download speed of 5.5mb at best due to BT limiting the speed till they can improve/upgrade there network.

I want the unlimited download option anyway but was pleasantly suprised they were so honest.

its a good word of caution to anyone hunting for a BB supplier that the 5.5mb generally applys to all suppliers that utilize BT equipment and network and unless your supplier uses the more modern fibre optic cabling (such as Virgin) you wont get anywhere near the advertized speed you pay for.......allways note the advertizement wording "UPTO 20MB" not "you get 20mb"

btw..... several speed tests have came back with as high as 8.8mb from my connection so Im happy :D