RAM

duffa

just been and bought 2gb of new RAM .. put it in alongside the 1GB i already have ... wouldnt have any of it , not working properly , both 1GB and 2GB work fine on their own .. BOTH are DDR2 anyone know what the problem might be ??

just been and bought 2gb of new RAM .. put it in alongside the 1GB i already have ... wouldnt have any of it , not working properly , both 1GB and 2GB work fine on their own .. BOTH are DDR2 anyone know what the problem might be ??

Is this a single 2G module, what slots do you have, and are they colour coded?

ok i have >> Elite Group (ECS) GeForce6100PM-M2 (V2.0) Motherboard . , running Win XP , both slots are same colour ... and if so ... how to do a BIOS update ? ... heres whats happening... if i put the new 2GB in the spare slot ... my screen wont come on ( no signal ) .. if i put the 2GB in the 1st slot and the origonal 1GB in the new slot my screen goes mental ..green lines etc ... but both work fine in slot 1 without anything in the other

get two 2 gigs and put together.should work ok.

yeah i was thinking that ... just gonna have to sweet talk the wife into letting me buy another 2gb

He wont get the full use of the 4Gigs under XP though, so itd be a waste of money. Give the BIOS update a go, you can normally download the update from your motherboard manufacturers website.

He wont get the full use of the 4Gigs under XP though, so itd be a waste of money. G

Such statement should be qualified - 32-bit XP can only allocate approx 3.2GB, but 64-bit edition is fine with much more.

He wont get the full use of the 4Gigs under XP though, so itd be a waste of money. G

Such statement should be qualified - 32-bit XP can only allocate approx 3.2GB, but 64-bit edition is fine with much more.

didnt know that. only ever used 32 bit versions. did 64-bit need a service pack update before this was so?

no idea unless i take it back out ... old 1gb has .1GB.2Rx8.PC2-5300U-555-12-E1.667 ..on the label

667MHz

no idea unless i take it back out ... old 1gb has .1GB.2Rx8.PC2-5300U-555-12-E1.667 ..on the label

doesnt it say on the packet ?

only came in an anti-static bag ... bought from a pc shop ..so its probably second hand ... would the speed make it not compatible with old 1GB ?

doesnt it say on the packet ?

only came in an anti-static bag ... bought from a pc shop ..so its probably second hand ... would the speed make it not compatible with old 1GB ?

see my reply above, and no, even if they operate at different speeds youll be fine.