RAM

duffa

no idea unless i take it back out ... old 1gb has .1GB.2Rx8.PC2-5300U-555-12-E1.667 ..on the label

doesnt it say on the packet ?

only came in an anti-static bag ... bought from a pc shop ..so its probably second hand ... would the speed make it not compatible with old 1GB ?

No, it's backwards compatible and you've already told him the speed anyway.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look into updating your BIOS......

no idea unless i take it back out ... old 1gb has .1GB.2Rx8.PC2-5300U-555-12-E1.667 ..on the label

doesnt it say on the packet ?

only came in an anti-static bag ... bought from a pc shop ..so its probably second hand ... would the speed make it not compatible with old 1GB ?

No, it's backwards compatible and you've already told him the speed anyway.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look into updating your BIOS......

will i have to do a BIOS update ...then add the extra RAM ? ... and have i got the correct site ? > click sorry for being such a pain i aint an expert and the wife will murder me if i blow up the PC

check the motherboard manual, you probably have to have matched pairs if you use both slots. cant believe people say to update the bios doubtfull that will help.

Have you never found the original bios versions limit what size, speed and even make of RAM can be installed, and future updates expand this as new technology is released?

How odd.

found this on the manufacturers web site >>

This motherboard accommodates two 240-pin unbuffered DIMMs and supports DDR2

800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM. You must install at least one module in any of the

two slots. Each module can be installed with 8 GB of memory; the total memory

capacity is 16 GB.

by the looks of it can support any speed but cant find anything that says they have to be installed in pairs .. think i'm just going to leave it as it is till i get another 2G to match

capacity is 16 GB.

by the looks of it can support any speed but cant find anything that says they have to be installed in pairs .. think i'm just going to leave it as it is till i get another 2G to match

Why don't you do what I advised which would probably solve your issue?

capacity is 16 GB.

Why don't you do what I advised which would probably solve your issue?

not competent enough to do a BIOS update myself and manufacturers site says it takes no responsibility for any updates ... aint keen on blowing my pc up

check the motherboard manual, you probably have to have matched pairs if you use both slots. cant believe people say to update the bios doubtfull that will help.

Have you never found the original bios versions limit what size, speed and even make of RAM can be installed, and future updates expand this as new technology is released?

How odd.

well back in the day i'd agree, not so much now :)

go to www.crucial.com/uk - and run the scan - it'll tell you how much memory your pc can handle :thumb:

How odd.

go to www.crucial.com/uk - and run the scan - it'll tell you how much memory your pc can handle :thumb:

already found that out from manufacturers site ..can handle up to 16GB

How odd.

I find it inot of PCs that are 3-5 years old. Not so much now, but BIOS updates are released by the manufacturer for good reason.