Ipod touch

fluff2007

Hiya people,

Right i have a ipod touch which is synced to my mums laptop. She has just bought one and will want to use her laptop to put music on her ipod. When i plug her laptop in it trys to put all my stuff on there which she dont want.

Im buying myself a laptop soon so what i really need to know is. If i download itunes on my new laptop and plug my ipod in will it delete all my stuff or will it sync it to itunes on the new laptop and then i remove my ipod from mums laptop?

Cheers

What about app's and games that i have installed on my touch? will they get deleted?

They will move over when you register the new iTunes with your username and password. You will obviously have to download them again though.

When u say download them u mean downlaod them from itunes to my touch?

What about app's and games that i have installed on my touch? will they get deleted?

They will move over when you register the new iTunes with your username and password. You will obviously have to download them again though.

When u say download them u mean downlaod them from itunes to my touch?

The games and applications are still on your iPod Touch.

But when you 'sync' it with your new iTunes they won't be there, so will most likely wipe them as there isn't a copy on the new iTunes. So you will need to download them again onto your new iTunes so that it can sync them back to your iPod Touch.

Off the top of my head, here is how I would do it:

First, download and install itunes on the new laptop. Go into the Edit Menu and click Preferences. Select the Devices tab, make sure "Prevent iPods and iPhones from synching automatically" is checked. That should stop the iPod wiping itself.

Now, getting the music from one laptop to another depends entirely on whether the music is DRM'd or not. If it was bought through itunes, you can enable the same account on up to 5 computers, so you can play all your legally downloaded music on these. To do this, click Store from the menu (same one as Edit before) and select "Authorise Computer", this will log you into your itunes account on this computer. Plug your iPod in, right click on the iPod on the menu on the left and select "Transfer Purchases" or some such. This will transfer paid-for music and applications onto your computer.

As for non-DRM music, thats just a case of copying and pasting music from one computer onto a pen drive and onto the other computer, then dropping the links into itunes for it to figure out. Or you could cut out the pen drive altogether and network the two laptops. Either way, preventing the iPod from automatically synching should prevent your ipod wiping itself. Please don't take this all as gospel, though, and do some googling.

thanks for all the help guys, will have a go and see how it goes!!

wwwd - what u say makes sense but will i have to pay for the ones that i have already ready bought again?

No, the same thing happened to me a while back - you just put your iTunes username and password into the new version of iTunes and it remembers you've already purchased it.

To save messing around though, I would personally look to transfer all of your old stuff onto the new computer. Might take a little more work initially, but will save a hell of a lot of time and fuss in the long run.

Look here for help on transferring your iTunes to a different computer:

Clicky