Upgrade or new model?

Brown

PC gurus, I have a dilemma

I have a pc with the following spec

2.5ghz processor, 1mb ram, 200gb hd

It's about 5 yrs old but seems so slow and for want of a better word, fucked.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile upgrading certain pieces of hardware (if so, which)? OR, should I look into buying a brand new computer?

More faster ram, cheap option (2gig ddr2 if it allows). It really shouldnt be running sluggish with a 2.5 processor. You give very little detail on the whole setup really.

what other info would be useful, mate? It's SP2 if that helps

Personally I would upgrade to 2gig of ddr2 ram & Windows 7 myself.

What is the machines purpose? General?

Edited by PeeWee

I'd bite the bullet and buy a new system as Sid says, to upgrade yours to half decent would cost the price of a new Tower. :thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-OPTIPLEX-760-CO...=item1c138d7754

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/24762.jpg

This is the PC I bought (from this guy as well)

Decent spec, comes as the picture, New keyboard, tower and mouse, the PC is faultless and very fast. Cheaper than buying direct from Dell, this PC is spec'd well due to it being a business machine. £210 is not bad for it.

Note: the one I got from this guy was not a refurb, it was brand new, reason for sale was it had a MINOR scratch on the bottom which you don't even see. :)

Edited by Lee_2f2f

If your really convinced its fecked then:

* If your technically minded, upgrading internals would be a cheaper, more hassle but more rewarding option.

* If your not. Replace the lot.

If your not so sure:

Fair enough, your PC might be "OLD" in technology terms... but from what details you've given so far it's fine for peeing around on the internet, editing documents and watching/listening to media (excluding HD video).

If that's all you do... then service it! - Inside and out... Software and hardware.

* Software: Try uninstalling all the crap you don't need then installing; CCleaner (freeware) and Tuneup Utilities (30-day trial) run through the options of those. Defrag and reboot.

* Hardware: Buy and Air Duster - Even Asda and Staples sell them (in fact the Staples Economy ones are the best I've tried so far! - Well, until they freeze your hand off and lose power until they warm up again!). Take the side panel of your PC, get stuck in gently removing the gunk build up by hand (touch the case first to rid yourself of static). Then blast what's left with the Air Duster. Make sure you dust around fans etc. Leave the PC off for 30mins to allow any residue left by the Air Duster to dry (prevents shorts) and switch it back on again.

It should feel like a new PC again! :cheers:

ps: That Dell Lee has posted is ok to be fair... as much as I hate Dell, we have one in work which is never switched off, copes with HUGE strains as well. Only lacks in the graphics department which can be upgraded easily! :thumb:

As smithy said, try cleaning the comput,er physically with air duster, and by using software and stuff to delete shite (you'd be amazed how much shite is on your computer to slow it down, my dads PC for instance is well specced but slow as Fcuk because he lets anything and everything install itself.....ie/ his internet explorer had many many toolbars on it before i cleaned it up)

If your really convinced its fecked then:

* If your technically minded, upgrading internals would be a cheaper, more hassle but more rewarding option.

* If your not. Replace the lot.

If your not so sure:

Fair enough, your PC might be "OLD" in technology terms... but from what details you've given so far it's fine for peeing around on the internet, editing documents and watching/listening to media (excluding HD video).

If that's all you do... then service it! - Inside and out... Software and hardware.

* Software: Try uninstalling all the crap you don't need then installing; CCleaner (freeware) and Tuneup Utilities (30-day trial) run through the options of those. Defrag and reboot.

* Hardware: Buy and Air Duster - Even Asda and Staples sell them (in fact the Staples Economy ones are the best I've tried so far! - Well, until they freeze your hand off and lose power until they warm up again!). Take the side panel of your PC, get stuck in gently removing the gunk build up by hand (touch the case first to rid yourself of static). Then blast what's left with the Air Duster. Make sure you dust around fans etc. Leave the PC off for 30mins to allow any residue left by the Air Duster to dry (prevents shorts) and switch it back on again.

It should feel like a new PC again! :cheers:

ps: That Dell Lee has posted is ok to be fair... as much as I hate Dell, we have one in work which is never switched off, copes with HUGE strains as well. Only lacks in the graphics department which can be upgraded easily! :thumb:

That's a great response! Thanks for that :thumb: I'll get to work on it over the next week and I'll update on how it went.