Wax, what's good but cheap

Craig855S

http://www.carplan.co.uk/clients/www.carplan.co.uk/assets//Image/Demon_Shine/CDS101_300.jpg

Demon shine

£5 or so, gives you plenty of applications and its one of those wax it while its still wet things so dead easy :)

why pay stupid money for moderatly better results, or are you going to be one of these "detailers" :rolleyes:

Edited by LiamGTR

I'm not going to be a "detailer" (not gonna buy a snowlance and orbital polisher etc) but i would like to get decent results with just a few bits of microfibre and some select products (each bottle of stuff costing the same as a takeaway supper, not the same as a scrap car)

so this cheap spray on wax...no thanks. Megs #16 sounds like a winner though, I'm sure I've heard people raving about Poorboys natty blue too?

I'm not going to be a "detailer" (not gonna buy a snowlance and orbital polisher etc) but i would like to get decent results with just a few bits of microfibre and some select products (each bottle of stuff costing the same as a takeaway supper, not the same as a scrap car)

so this cheap spray on wax...no thanks. Megs #16 sounds like a winner though, I'm sure I've heard people raving about Poorboys natty blue too?

Poorboys Natty Blue is very good for the £13 a pot. Chemical Guys XXX is also a good one for the same figure!

liam I can't figure out if you are actually a c0ck these days or if you try to be a bell end to be 'cool'

Craig, I was an avid user of chemical guys xxx for years and have now switched to #16 by megs. There is little difference! If you don't want to wax regular I'd go for 476s as Trig suggested!

cleanyourcar.com seems to be cheap, and contains reviews and customer posted pictures of the product you're looking at. So you can see just how shiny and beady each wax is when applied.

Liam, FYI I have megs gold class shampoo, 2 buckets (one with grit guard) megs microfibre wash mit and water magnet towel, megs clay, megs paint cleaner, and AG SRP, so I do wash my cars properly

Demon shine

£5 or so, gives you plenty of applications and its one of those wax it while its still wet things so dead easy :)

why pay stupid money for moderatly better results, or are you going to be one of these "detailers" :rolleyes:

You clearly dont have a clue Liam.

How long does the protection that Demon Shine gives last for?

2 layers of Collinite 476 will last for around 6 months, which means washing and drying the car is a simple 2 bucket and mitt, then rinse and dry job for 6 months. And because the wax puts down a layer that prevents most contaminents from bonding to the paint. the actual job of washing is hundreds of times easier than if you are washing unprotected paint.

So in simple terms:

Wash, clay, polish, wax = 1 day of work

every wash from then on for 6 months = 15 mins

When you think about it, a bit of effort at the beginning is more than paid back in the reduced effort for the following months.

Back to wax, I usually buy from cleanyourcar.co.uk or from elitecarcare.co.uk. Ive not used natty's, but from the reviews I have seen its a good value wax. Part of the choice comes down to what you want to do. With the Colli, you can put a layer down, give it some time to settle then put another layer down and you will be set for months. The Megs is nicer to work with, but doesnt last as long as the Colli, probably 4 months, so would need reapplying sooner.

If you wanted to prolong the life of your protection, after every other wash you could use a quick detailer, or if you are feeling a bit flush, something like Zaino Z8 or Dodo Juice Red Mist. They are like spray on sealants so they top up the protection, meaning the longer process of laying wax down doesn't have to happen as often.

Demon shine

You clearly dont have a clue Liam.

How long does the protection that Demon Shine gives last for?

2 layers of Collinite 476 will last for around 6 months, which means washing and drying the car is a simple 2 bucket and mitt, then rinse and dry job for 6 months. And because the wax puts down a layer that prevents most contaminents from bonding to the paint. the actual job of washing is hundreds of times easier than if you are washing unprotected paint.

So in simple terms:

Wash, clay, polish, wax = 1 day of work

every wash from then on for 6 months = 15 mins

When you think about it, a bit of effort at the beginning is more than paid back in the reduced effort for the following months.

Back to wax, I usually buy from cleanyourcar.co.uk or from elitecarcare.co.uk. Ive not used natty's, but from the reviews I have seen its a good value wax. Part of the choice comes down to what you want to do. With the Colli, you can put a layer down, give it some time to settle then put another layer down and you will be set for months. The Megs is nicer to work with, but doesnt last as long as the Colli, probably 4 months, so would need reapplying sooner.

If you wanted to prolong the life of your protection, after every other wash you could use a quick detailer, or if you are feeling a bit flush, something like Zaino Z8 or Dodo Juice Red Mist. They are like spray on sealants so they top up the protection, meaning the longer process of laying wax down doesn't have to happen as often.

100% spot on advise there

Can I just say, if you want a really good wax that won't cost you much money, you can get a dodo juice tester pot.

Your get 3-4 coats out of a pot and you can get dodo supernatural tester pot for about £15 on eBay, easily a years wax!

The less expensive waxes they do are around £8 a tester pot but look into which one will suit your paint colour :)

z8 isnt really a sealant, it doesnt last long and is advised to be used for occasions where you want your car to stand out.

Anyway. What trig said is good advise, collinite for long lasting or Megs #16 for good shine but not as long lasting, personally i think the #16 is brilliant, but its a glaze not a wax