Student

Scort_CVH

I really don't like your attitude towards people who do go to university, what do oyu feel you have to prove?

again unfortunately you appear to have like others selectively read what Ive typed, my grievance isn't with university students "generally" at all... I don't believe I was even once that generally descriptive in anything I typed in this thread?

My irritation is purely directed at those select few that have taken to whinging REPEATEDLY about how their lifes are so hard because their getting into debt while gaining the qualifications they require to get a well paid job in their future that will eventually allow them to clear their debt and have a comfortable life style.

what most don't seem to realise (including yourself maybe?) is that that situation is not exclusive to the student perspective in any way shape or form and is in fact more or less the general rule throughout everyone's early life whether they attend university or not.

We all get in debt in the early years of our working life, we all struggle for the first years of our careers (that's if your lucky enough to have a "career" per say), we all have to work hard and learn as fast as humanly possible to better ourselves and increase our ability to earn more and further ourselves in life.

Yet despite essentially doing the exact some thing as everyone else... could anyone in all honesty say that a student has a greater right to complain about it?

If I was to limit my response to those that say "yes they do" Id say,

Welcome to life, its a bitch, its a pain, it drags on.... but if you work hard like the rest of us whether in studies or the sweat from your back , it'll get better.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading some of the posts in this topic, but also missed a few out, what did catch my eye was the discussion on being an "Engineer"

Apart from doing the odd service or repair jobs for myself or friends, I have never worked in a job directly related to my education, I have however worked in roles that would relate very distantly to what I did.

As an example, my last job was an Engineer at a very rapidly growing 5* holiday resort company, ( and as Ross found out I was also a pert time Lifeguard at the same place :) )

I can call myself an engineer as it was a very new company, there was still a lot of trial and error going on with the engineering, the plant, vents, ducts and so on so forth.

So along with servicing pumps and electronic systems etc, we also had to do a lot of fabrication work, desgin work, submitting designs and drawings to manufacturers to have one off installations made off site.

Despite a glowing and very detailed report and reference from my head technician and engineer can I get a job in anything similar??

The answer is no!

I feel that in trades like this, it matters not necessarily what qualifications or experience you have, but a combination of the two, one tends to be rather useless without the other.

On another note, qualifications and experiance are worth nothing if theres no work available :(

Appologies if some of that fails to make sense but its almost half 3 and I'm zonked.

IDespite a glowing and very detailed report and reference from my head technician and engineer can I get a job in anything similar??

The answer is no!

I feel that in trades like this, it matters not necessarily what qualifications or experience you have, but a combination of the two, one tends to be rather useless without the other.

As I said the term "Engineer" is too nondescript and encompasses to many professions and job definition to really be used as a actual job description.

I for instance am what can be called a mechanical engineer in the building circles but even there the job title can be very confusing, It could mean anything from a plant repair , plumber, duct fitter to a security shutter engineer.

There was a bit of a shake up in the trades a few years back with new job titles supposedly designed to improve that very confusion.....it didn't accomplish its task.

I for instance was supposed to be called a "Building internal environmental design and installation coordinator" rather than a Mechanical engineer :blink:

generally in my trade and similar the people who work in it started much as I did, early in life and learnt the trade from the inside, subsequently once they reach a level of employment were they are ultimately in-charge of hiring and firing subordinates they look for the qualities in a prospective employee they know makes a person a valuable member of the team or at the least a worthy investment of both the time and money required to train that person to be a valuable member.

Its why in the building trade the term "time served" trumps "fully qualified" every time still and always will, its also why generally in those same trades to gain a job you must be prepared to start at the bottom rung of the experience ladder ("the boy") unless you have previous experience in the exact same trade.

Geography Degree Graduate myself... 3 and a bit years at Worcester Uni... debt isnt too bad- fees were only £1500 though from starting in 2005 and pay a bit off that off each pay packet. No other debt from it apart from student loan to pay back. prob have about £15k owing.

Working at the moment for County Council but thats only a temporary thing