weird heating/temp issues

Markt8

finally got my van sorted brilliant starter again and now bloudy temperature issues :nutter: , it sits on the centre like it should of the temp gauge but when i turn the heaters on there hot to begin with then they suddenly go freezing cold and the engine starts overheating, if i turn the heaters off it goes back to the middle, confuse to hell to be honest usually it helps cool it not overheat it, any ideas? im pretty sure the thermostats shot anyway so maybe this could be a problem ive also noticed the temp gauge sometimes goes up randomly but shoots back to the centre in a min or 2, quite confusing but im quite happy its running again :cheers:

mark

finally got my van sorted brilliant starter again and now bloudy temperature issues :nutter: , it sits on the centre like it should of the temp gauge but when i turn the heaters on there hot to begin with then they suddenly go freezing cold and the engine starts overheating, if i turn the heaters off it goes back to the middle, confuse to hell to be honest usually it helps cool it not overheat it, any ideas? im pretty sure the thermostats shot anyway so maybe this could be a problem ive also noticed the temp gauge sometimes goes up randomly but shoots back to the centre in a min or 2, quite confusing but im quite happy its running again :cheers:

mark

Id have to say Id suspect the thermo too, sounds like its movements have become over reactive and its either completely open or completely closed as appose to its gradual movement according to temp.

Dont really understand mate ..

1) So when the Engine is up to operating temperature.

2) You turn the blowers on.

3) They blow hot then cold.

4) The engine overheats?

Is this the sequence of events?

spot on and regardless of wether the heatings on or not sitting at traffic the temp rises then shoots back down

mark

Bit of a mystery then mate ...

Does the Temp control actually open close the feed to the heater Matrix? Or just re-direct air flow?

Thought it might have been an Air-Lock?

its changed today it now only starts heating up over half way when im sitting and then the heaters get hot, then i rev it and it goes back to normal, bit weird but i think your right about the airlock, hopefully i can get it sorted and get heating back, still when it heats up i turn heaters on nice and warm then they go hold within 20-30secs

mark

Let it bleed then try again (you know how to bleed yea?), when the heating dial is set to hot but the blowers arent blowing does the airflow of the car moving give you hot air or cold? And when the blowers blow cold air does the temp guage drop?

yeah the heaters are warm when driving without the heater fan on, but when i switch it on it goes cold within 20secs if that, if im sitting in traffic the gauge rises within a min or 2 but never hits red though and soon as i rev it, its back to normal temp, normally bleeding would be heaters on full on hot, bottle cap off?, open bleed nipple until water only comes?

mark

Let it bleed then try again (you know how to bleed yea?), when the heating dial is set to hot but the blowers arent blowing does the airflow of the car moving give you hot air or cold? And when the blowers blow cold air does the temp guage drop?

yeah the heaters are warm when driving without the heater fan on, but when i switch it on it goes cold within 20secs if that, if im sitting in traffic the gauge rises within a min or 2 but never hits red though and soon as i rev it, its back to normal temp, normally bleeding would be heaters on full on hot, bottle cap off?, open bleed nipple until water only comes?

mark

has the vehicle always had correct strength antifreeze in it if not i have experianced this symptoms with a cvh engine where it had frozen and the owner started it and sheared of the water pump impellor it ran fine but water wasn't circulating hence poor heater and over heating would be worth checking matrix for blockages too :thumb: