Laptop advise please

McRic

Looking to replace my netbook with a laptop.

Have shortlisted to the two below but which ones best? Want it to last as long as possible as I'm tight! I don't do anything fancy on bar surf the net, download music and emails. Occasionaly I'll burn a disc. Print photos etc

Option 1

Option 2

Massive storage space isn't important as it has little use as stated below.

I've shortlisted to these 2 retailers as I can get 6 months interest free form either to save me outlaying in one hit.

Looking to replace my netbook with a laptop.

Have shortlisted to the two below but which ones best? Want it to last as long as possible as I'm tight! I don't do anything fancy on bar surf the net, download music and emails. Occasionaly I'll burn a disc. Print photos etc

Option 1

Option 2

Massive storage space isn't important as it has little use as stated below.

I've shortlisted to these 2 retailers as I can get 6 months interest free form either to save me outlaying in one hit.

I recently bought myself a Compaq615 for the same basic use as you stated and iirc the same price range, I cant knock it atall.

Excellent graphics (even running all Windows7 Aero options)

Excellent wireless speed and range (wireless N adapter was £15 option)

3Ghz single core processor (which is surprisingly capable despite not being one of its more powerful dual core brothers)

14" Widescreen

Lightscribe Hispeed dvd/cd rewriter (meaning with the right discs it will etch a picture onto the face of the disc...just in case you've never seen these things)

Windows7 Pro and key

all the usual sockets and connection options found on a lappy or decent notebook.....oh and 3xUsb2 ports which is surprisingly more useful than the usual x2 found in most lappys.

Im sure there's lots more benefits to it but that pretty much covers the things you'll need for what you described, oh and the keyboard has a nice solid feel to it and has stood up to even my sons heavy finger pushes and missus overly stabby chicken peck typing without any notable problems in the months Ive owned it, its also a good looking slim type as lappys go.

The problem with laptops and computers is: You will always find a better deal just after you've bought one.

Thats just the way it is, personally i'd go for the Dell one, also have you tried going direct to Dell?

Reasons? it's hard for the guy to decide without a viable reason one way or the other?

Toshiba for me, Dell laptops dont seem to have the reliability they once did.

Really?

I have 2 Toshiba's that have run faultless for the last 5 years & a newer one I purchased from Sidrick thats awsome tbf.

I have a dell mini10 netbook I use daily and have done without any problems for the last 2 years.

As above, this doesnt help the guy with no viable reasons?

(He is Scottish, this is a disturbing moment for him when parting with cash lol, sorry Rick)

Edited by PeeWee

Really?

I have 2 Toshiba's that have run faultless for the last 5 years & a newer one I purchased from Sidrick thats awsome tbf.

I have a dell mini10 netbook I use daily and have done without any problems for the last 2 years.

(He is Scottish, this is a disturbing moment for him when parting with cash lol, sorry Rick)

So, you have three toshiba laptops that run well, two of which are over 5 years old. You also have a dell netbook that is still working after 2 years. Marvellous.

I apologise for not having any failure statistics for the dell vs toshiba laptops we get through work, but the guy was asking for advice on which to pick. I gave him my advice. Get the Toshiba.

Really?

So, you have three toshiba laptops that run well, two of which are over 5 years old. You also have a dell netbook that is still working after 2 years. Marvellous.

I apologise for not having any failure statistics for the dell vs toshiba laptops we get through work, but the guy was asking for advice on which to pick. I gave him my advice. Get the Toshiba.

My appologies Calad I read it wrong and thought you were saying both Toshiba & Dell had reliability problems, I also somehow missed your recomendation for Toshiba pmsl, major fail post. :pancake: