Which CPU and Motherboard bundle under £250

sidrick

ive always used msi mother boards and amd cpus. with no problems.

Aren't most 'dell' boards rebranded MSI ones?

Ive had a couple of my own gigabyte boards fail, and Ive had to fix a few PCs where theyve also failed. Personal opinion, but I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. And saying "My Gigabyte board hasnt failed BUT..." doesnt really inspire confidence, now does it? Buy something else for the same money.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC13255.jpg

Having spent money on my car rather than a new PC I've only just got round to starting this build now!!

8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM

OCZ Agility 3 60GB HDD.

Awaiting this coming - http://www.ebuyer.com/281367-asus-p8z68-v-...-atx-p8z68-v-lx

Maybe not the best motherboard but it ticks the boxes for my budget build with HDMI, Z68 chipset and SATA 3 :)

Will be getting the i5 2500k when I get paid on Thursday.

Currently drawn between adding a couple of 2tb drives to this machine for storage or building a seperate server. My friend's work is scrapping Dell Precision T3500 machines since they've run out of warranty, so he's put one aside for me :D

Any recommendation on a decent budget PSU will be appreciated. Looking at circa £50 for one with no real requirements other than being quiet/silent and having a few SATA plugs.

Edited by sidrick

Dependant on your graphic card choice (as these chew the vast amount of power from a PSU these days) go for a minimum of 500W to allow for some expansion and for a £50 budget you should be able to squeeze a fairly decent, branded modular PSU into your build. :thumb:

If your planning for a fairly power hungry graphics card, you could be looking at 700W+ requirement including a little room for expansion.

I'd recommend a modular particularly for new builds as you only have the cables required to run your system plugged in, makes the build less messy.

Something like this would be an ideal start... http://www.cclonline.com/product/18317/OCZ...Supply/PSU1078/

With higher rated PSUs just creeping over your £50 budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_power_supply_unit - Probably better than my explanation.

Basically your PSU comes as a standalone box with a bag of cables, you only plug in what cables you need to use for your computer and leave the rest in the bag.

So on a system that needs 2 sata power cables you only need to plug in a 2 sata plug ended cable into the PSU and not need to tuck the rest of the cables away in the case somewhere.

For a fairly simple build like yours it would be the difference of having about 4-5 (increasing to 5-6 with expansion) cables coming from your PSU inside the case instead of 10-15 cables.

If your going for on-board graphics (VGA port on motherboard) then a 500W branded PSU will be sufficient. If you go for lower mid range graphics card in the future you may want to look at going a little higher.

- Try not to go for billy-no-brands PSUs. IT Research [and personal experience] shows that 500W non-branded PSUs peak at a much lower output than branded 500W PSUs or in other words a branded 500W PSU will provide about the same peak power as the average non-branded 750W+ PSU.

I know this video is probably a bit of a marketing ploy and slightly over exaggerated but it's about the best way of showing the above point (if you ignore the marketing bit).

Im using: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1098

Cant recommend it enough, Cheap and Quiet and good quality, If you think a 500 would do if your not planning any mental graphics or anything the 500 is only £52 quid.

Only fault i can give it is the cables are a wee bit short but if youve not got a massive case then it should be okay (even if it isint extensions can be bought for bout 3 quid)

What is modular?

I wasn't planning on a graphics card to start with, just running off the i5, hoever I will be streaming films and sport in the future from a c.£120 GFX card. Never gaming.

For the sake of future proofing, i would install a gfx card in case you ever want to run HD video files becasue you dont really want to load your cpu with HD content. I run an ATI radeon 4670 passive graphics card which handles HD no problem, and it was a reasonable price (~£45 these days i think).

Edited by eetaylog