Which CPU and Motherboard bundle under £250

sidrick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this beastie from a mate yesterday since his work are having a PC refresh.

Dell Precision WorkStation T3400:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC13257.jpg

Quite a bit of kit in it's day. Core 2 extreme CPU and 2 Quadro FX graphics cards. All for the grand price of a case of beer to my mate!

I'll fling a hard drive in it at the weekend and see if it's worth keeping, but it should make a nice little server or something :)

Just a note for the your HD content... I've had a 2.8 Ghz P4 with on-board graphics play full 1080p flawlessly just 2-3 days ago!

The codec you choose will have a huge impact on the specs required to play certain content.

For that particular PC I used CoreCodec

The Windows Mobile version of that was powerful enough to let one of my old HTC phones which barely had the processing power to make a call play 720p at 24fps.

It's designed mainly for Netbooks to allow them to play HD content but works just as well on desktops and is compatible with most media players including Media Centre.

That dell would have done anything you would have asked from it apart from gaming, and depending on what quadro's are in there if you just used the driver from the geforce 8,9,GTX series they are based they would have probably done gaming too.

As a quadro they are optimised for professional style graphics e.g. rendering on CAD programs. With the extreme cpu i cant see them being basic cards.