IE v Firefox v Google Chrome

duffa

Long time since I used Firefox as a regular browser.

IE is a very viable option now & Chrome is integrating so many features it is hard to ignore it's dominance, speed & ability to make your whole Internet experience complete is hard to ignore.

I find myself using Chrome much more these days.

Cloud print, google drive (5 gig of free cloud storage) Google docs (great for those working on the move), G mail is very neat.

The many apps that sync with Google plus Google's own apps are quite incredible.

It is neat, quick, slick & tidy.

Edited by PeeWee

As someone working with web dev on a daily basis... IE really p*sses me off!

You can make something 100% HTML compliant and have it verified 100% HTML perfect and IE breaks it (even the latest variant).

Even something as simple as a 0 pixel border table... IE puts a 1 pixel border in for kicks.

IE really grinds my gears for day-to-day usage also. It feels like you've called their Indian call centre and asked them to display the website on your screen for you... "No!! I wanted GOOGLE.CO.UK... I don't want Windows Live package, no I don't want Bing to be my homepage... and yes my version of Windows is genuine! just... display... GOOGLE!!!!"

- It's why it's dubbed "The best browser to download another browser with..."

Chrome is a great browser but it just feels a little unfamiliar so it can be difficult to get along with first but beyond that and the fact that it's bundled with pretty much every piece of software you try and install these days like Adware it's pretty damn good.

Firefox... it's a familiar favourite although they are trying too hard to compete with Chrome by digging their own grave... If they just stick to what they do best and not have to release a hourly update jumping from V3 to v11 then within hours 11.1, 11.2, 11.5, then no one would use Chrome (apart from the old farts who were tricked into installing it).

Safari X86... Just made to p*ss Microsoft off really. As it's basically an old version of Firefox with a fancy skin it's pretty pointless.

It feels like you've called their Indian call centre and asked them to display the website on your screen for you... "No!! I wanted GOOGLE.CO.UK... I don't want Windows Live package, no I don't want Bing to be my homepage... and yes my version of Windows is genuine! just... display... GOOGLE!!!!"

then no one would use Chrome (apart from the old farts who were tricked into installing it).

Safari X86... Just made to p*ss Microsoft off really. As it's basically an old version of Firefox with a fancy skin it's pretty pointless.

Quite a funny comment from someone finding it hard to keep "Google" as their homepage :pancake:

Can't say it has ever been an issue for me?

I had ALWAYS used IE and had never been given a reason to leave....until v8/9? came out and it was suckin the life out of my system - so ditched it and went for chrome and aint looks back - even has a addon app that blocks adverts on websites and youtube!!! FECK YEAH!

As someone working with web dev on a daily basis... IE really p*sses me off!

You can make something 100% HTML compliant and have it verified 100% HTML perfect and IE breaks it (even the latest variant).

Even something as simple as a 0 pixel border table... IE puts a 1 pixel border in for kicks.

You're doing something very wrong then.

Chrome in ways is getting to be a little bit like IE6, somethings that work perfectly on other browsers need work-arounds to work on Chrome. That said, I've not had too many issues like that, but there are some.

IE9 gets my vote.

I use IE9 and like it more than the other browsers I've tried. I'd rather it didn't force Live Search or Bing on me at every opportunity and if it supported 3rd party add-ins (photobucket right click uploader for example), but overall I much prefer it to Firefox and Chrome (only used Chrome a little).

That's a myth too, IE has supported add-ons for a long time, Tools > Manage Add-ons

I use IE9 and like it more than the other browsers I've tried. I'd rather it didn't force Live Search or Bing on me at every opportunity and if it supported 3rd party add-ins (photobucket right click uploader for example), but overall I much prefer it to Firefox and Chrome (only used Chrome a little).

That's a myth too, IE has supported add-ons for a long time, Tools > Manage Add-ons

I should have said 'more' 3rd party add-ons then. Firefox has loads more than IE.

Quite a funny comment from someone finding it hard to keep "Google" as their homepage :pancake:

That's no issue, quite easy in fact. Just bloody annoying.

You're doing something very wrong then.

Nope, nothing wrong... 100% primary school level verified HTML.

If I had time and if I was passionate enough to be arsed to produce an example, I would.

But if you wish to replicate, simply create a basic HTML table with 0pix borders and fill each field with an image to the exact size of each field (so you can see the IE cock-up easier).

For more examples... Try view source on some of the Microsoft MSDN pages, locate the CSS file and open it. Even Microsoft themselves use extra code to try and stop IE breaking stuff!

The most famous example of this was on connect.microsoft.com... They genuinly had to use the "StupidIEMarginHack" and "StupidIEWidthHack" (Fix for IE 1pix off margin error) in their GeneralStyles.css

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/29102.jpg

And yes, although removed now... it was genuine!