oil coolers

scottybo

Basically this

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Images/oilcooler2.jpg

You have to send the oil away from its usual route to the aux rad which you will need to mount somewhere front facing I guess, rest is plumbing.

Erm...£150 ish new.

Edited by Naylor2006

Exactly my point. 80c is a ridiculous temperature.

curious as to why you say that?

as i "thought" the "optimum" temperature for oil was 80 degress? thus you would want the cooler to open and function at anything about 80?

oil should run at 100-110 degrees. Does vary for oil types but that's a rough figure.

Edited by Ahmotorsport

Exactly my point. 80c is a ridiculous temperature.

curious as to why you say that?

as i "thought" the "optimum" temperature for oil was 80 degress? thus you would want the cooler to open and function at anything about 80?

oil should run at 100-110 degrees. Does vary for oil types but that's a rough figure.

My cheap gauge reflects those figures, however driving hard enough for long enough it will rise beyond that but yeh surely for normal fast road use there isnt much point.

You'd def need a thermostat setup of some kind, dont know much about them but on a cold winter morning I would expect the oil would stay pretty cool for a long time.

Edited by Naylor2006

My cheap gauge reflects those figures, however driving hard enough for long enough it will rise beyond that but yeh surely for normal fast road use there isnt much point.

You'd def need a thermostat setup of some kind, dont know much about them but on a cold winter morning I would expect the oil would stay pretty cool for a long time.

On the race cars on a cold winters day we have to block half the rad and oil cooler off to keep the temps up.

On the race cars on a cold winters day we have to block half the rad and oil cooler off to keep the temps up.

Been working nights all last week so have been leaving for home at about 6am each morning, theres a short drive onto the M5 and its been very cold lately down south, my oil takes a hell of a long time to warm up, drive it real easy until it does, an oil cooler would compound the issue. Still find it amazing how quickly the oil cools down now to be honest, in the time it takes to fill the tank its dropped down a fair bit.

Edited by Naylor2006