Engine noise

Mike-evans

Driving to work this morning, and my GTi (2.0l Engine) develoved a strange noise at the traffic lights. Pulled over to see whats going on. Nothing obvious externally, but the noise seems to be coming from top end..

Its a rattly/scrapping noise, and sounds the same when driving. Seems fine to drive (obviously not best to untill i know the fault), but clutch feels the same, so does gearbox and the power delivery..

Below is a video of the engine idleing with the noise....what are your thoughts?

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/mike-evans/th_noise_zpsdac173f4.jpg

Oil level is fine, nice and clean aswell. Top end is getting plenty of oil, I've had the rocker cover off and the cams look okay....

Is it common for a valve spring to break/snap? Would a borken valve spring cause any running issues that I would notice? Sticky valve?

It sounds like a spring material rattle/something rattling around etc......

Very hard to determine exact location. Does sound like bell hosuing area aswell ;(

Checked oil level?

sounds to irregular for tappets though if that's what your thinking?

there doesn't seem to be a notable pattern to the sound, its more like a rattling noise isn't it?

OP. have you checked that all covers and heat shields are solid?, I know it sounds like its loudest at the top of the engine but that's no guarantee as a tinny sound like that would bounce all around the engine bay.

edit: also you might wanna check the head covers internal oil shrouds, one might have came loose and be getting bounced about above the tappets.

Edited by shawdreamer

Checked oil level?

sounds to irregular for tappets though if that's what your thinking?

there doesn't seem to be a notable pattern to the sound, its more like a rattling noise isn't it?

OP. have you checked that all covers and heat shields are solid?, I know it sounds like its loudest at the top of the engine but that's no guarantee as a tinny sound like that would bounce all around the engine bay.

edit: also you might wanna check the head covers internal oil shrouds, one might have came loose and be getting bounced about above the tappets.

Yeah its a rattling noise and is constant with the RPM. Just trying to understand if it was a sticky valve, or a broken valve spring etc? but would that be constant with the RPM then?

Good shout on the head covers internal shroud, something I havent looked at or thought of :thumb:

Calling into my regualr garage on the way home (if I make it home) so they can have a look around and try to see what it is..

It's defenatley an internal noise, and is constant with the RPM.............any ideas?

My clutch did feel rough as soon as I noticed the noise, so my first thought was clutch gone, or driveshaft etc....but now feels normal?? what could break/deform on the clutch that would spin with the RPM and hit something constantly?

Thats what is throwing me, as its running to good and pulling as it should....

Defentaly not anything loose externally, as it matches the RPM..

Just been out to it again with a guy from work who used to work for Jaguar, he had the screwdriver to listen, said its not top end, couldnt get under to get the driver on the bell housing...

I'm thinking it a clutch issue myself. possibly breaking up? brand new clutch was fitted about 2-3 months ago when I fitted this 2.0l, it hasn't felt perfect since its been fitted TBH...

Selecting first has felt tighter than normal since this new clutch was fitted, but no where near hard to select gears..

Is the altrenator at the rear of the engine? I cant remember......

Noise is still there when clutch is pressed/dipped..

Well if a clutch cover 'finger' had broken off, i would expect engagement issues, to be honest.

Been a while since i looked myself :') I'm sure its under the power steering or at the back, yes.

Edited by Ahmotorsport