Apps

Ahmotorsport

Thought I'd try getting another topic on the go.

Like Sids film review but for Apps.

So I shall begin.

Torque.

I guess we all know about this. Essentially you buy a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, ELM327 for example and Bluetooth it to your phone and it receives lots of information like fault codes, live data, fuel economy and tonnes of other stuff.

Very easy to use the live data can lag a little but to be expected from Bluetooth. 8/10

Mini Motor Racing.

A racing game which you can unlock all sorts of cars, tracks and you can upgrade the cars etc.

Good little game actually, tonnes of tracks so you don't get bored of the same track. 8/10

Edited by Ahmotorsport

Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, ELM327 for example and Bluetooth it to your phone and it receives lots of information like fault codes, live data, fuel economy and tonnes of other stuff.

How much are they? :)

The adapter was about £10 from Amazon and the App was around £2.50 IIRC

Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, ELM327 for example and Bluetooth it to your phone and it receives lots of information like fault codes, live data, fuel economy and tonnes of other stuff.

How much are they? :)

The adapter was about £10 from Amazon and the App was around £2.50 IIRC

Bargain! :)

worth remembering:

Torque Pro (has all the extra little bits an pieces that the free doesn't aswell as additional sensor coverage) - £5.99p, available from near all app markets like sites including "Google Play Store"

OBD2 Bluetooth adapter - £15 (for a good quality ELM version) - £5 (for a Mini budget version), both work well enough but the ELM has much better signal quality and range.

OBD2 Wireless adapter - £15 (I would not chance anything cheaper), This is often your only option if you intend to use it in conjunction with a Tablet or Pad as more often than not they don't have Bluetooth support without the use of a external dongle, you will need to do some very minor system configuring to any tablet using android OS as most versions earlier than OS4.0(Ice Cream Sandwich) aren't setup to connect to AdHoc network devices such as the Wireless adapter uses....its sounds more complicated than it is.... put it this way, I managed to do it :pancake:

As for other Apps, my own personal recommendations:

Elixir 2 (and its multiple add-ons) - For such a relatively small App it does a large and wide selection of very useful functions, from acting as a all in one Task Manager to allowing for the creation of entirely personalized custom widgets and Power buttons.... Ive used it for months on all my phones and both the houses tablets and I'm STILL finding new and useful ways to make use of its abilities, IMHO you cant call your phone/tablet customized and functional without it. FREE on PLAY STORE

UCCW (Ultimate Custom Clock Widget) - Another must have for your own personal touches, in basic terms its a Clock creator but the twist is it allows you to design and make your own custom clock from scratch and add in numerous features from weather, date, battery to many many more. FREE on PLAY STORE

Music Visualizer - Bin that crap half arsed excuse for a music/media player that Android always install with their devices and trade up to this much more attractive proposition, aswell as offering up all the standard functions the android player does this little app also chucks in a fine assortment of visualizations which gives it a Windows Player feel, you don't even have to keep the player on screen when your tunes are playing away but you can keep the visualization as your wallpaper and it'll continue to react to the music... Its what all media player should have been doing from the start. FREE on PLAY STORE

Many Many nights of sleep deprived boredom have seen me spending multiple hours scrolling through Play Store and Best Android Market looking for anything that might catch my attention so I could probably name hundreds of useful apps but Ill stick with just those three for now :blush:

Edited by PeeWee

OBD2 Wireless adapter - £15 (I would not chance anything cheaper), This is often your only option if you intend to use it in conjunction with a Tablet or Pad as more often than not they don't have Bluetooth support without the use of a external dongle.

This statement is quite incorrect as more often than not tablets DO have bluetooth.

As for a very addictive game and also Free I recommend clash of clans, really addictive online play.

I assume this to be IOS and Android. (edit: maybe only IOS)

Edited by PeeWee

OBD2 Wireless adapter - £15 (I would not chance anything cheaper), This is often your only option if you intend to use it in conjunction with a Tablet or Pad as more often than not they don't have Bluetooth support without the use of a external dongle.

This statement is quite incorrect as more often than not tablets DO have bluetooth.

If you just take into account the higher end current tabs thats very true but not ALL come equiped which was the reason for me stating such.

Also Shaw my adapter was £10 and its not the mini version.

Gonna check those out though.

which was kinda smack bang in the middle of my guidelines 5-15 pricing?

mine coincidently only cost me £11 but at the time they seemed to be averaging the £15 mark.

If you just take into account the higher end current tabs thats very true but not ALL come equiped which was the reason for me stating such.

You said "more often than not" which simply is not the case low end or high end.

Also depends what you call low end?

The Google Nexus 7 at £159 is a budget tablet but comes with a very high spec.

£50 imported from China you can get low end low price but it still is not the norm for any tablet not to have an old function such as Bluetooth.

• 3 months later...

WhatsApp.

I'm sure loads of you probably have this already, or as my friend put it "Everyone has this app."

Essentially, it's like texting but you use the internet not your credit.

Works perfectly for me, allows me to text friends i have in France and Italy without it costing me a fortune. Extremely easy to use, mine seemed to have used Facebook to find people i already knew, so i didn't even have to search for them. If you do have to search i believe you type the phone number.

8/10.

I use this but sadly on the windows phone (unlike the iphone) it beeps to tell you about a new message, but doesn't display anything on the locked screen. You can only see you have a message by unlocking the phone.

Can't complain for a free app that is priceless when the missus is abroad :)

Ahh that is a bit of a shame. It's little things like this, that turned me to Android, though i loved my HD7. The Windows OS was the balls.

Edited by Ahmotorsport

I use this but sadly on the windows phone (unlike the iphone) it beeps to tell you about a new message, but doesn't display anything on the locked screen. You can only see you have a message by unlocking the phone.

Free???

Scrap my last comment as it appears to be free on everything except iPhone lol ;)

Edited by PeeWee

Free???

Scrap my last comment as it appears to be free on everything except iPhone lol ;)

Muahahahaha.