front brakes

mikes-fat-arsed-estate

hi every one some may remember my me i havent spent much time on here for a long while due to getting into another project car which started out as the mrs daily

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/allanmichealsmith/IMG00096-20110925-1749-1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/allanmichealsmith/DSCF9783.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/allanmichealsmith/DSCF9766.jpg

any way long story short they have been getting neglected even tho i do regular start them , brakes being the main issue sticking ect,

on the estate i recently took it for a 20 mile blast on return i noticed smoke coming from the front wheel the alloys was hot , the caliper was stuck onto the rotar but with a little force it came of and out fell the brake pads.

the problem im having now is im unable to retract the piston back into the caliper housing to make room for the new pads, tbh im not to clued up on bleeding the system if thats even necessary so if i can avoid having to do so thats would be great.

it could be collapsed brake flexi hose going to the calipers but to be safe its best to change them as a pair, and see if that works if not replace the caliper they are cheap as chips but because you have big wheels would you consider a big brake upgrade? as the 300mm brake conversion is getting cheaper nowadays all you need is mondeo mk3 calipers and pads 300mm st170 discs, mondeo mk1 hoses and just to drill out the hub to 12mm. easiest brake conversion! but you would need 16 inch wheels or bigger! you can go for rs2000 brakes and keep up to 15 inch alloy wheels and also the cosworth brake conversion too and thats 278mm so wide range of choice!

it could be collapsed brake flexi hose going to the calipers but to be safe its best to change them as a pair, and see if that works if not replace the caliper they are cheap as chips but because you have big wheels would you consider a big brake upgrade? as the 300mm brake conversion is getting cheaper nowadays all you need is mondeo mk3 calipers and pads 300mm st170 discs, mondeo mk1 hoses and just to drill out the hub to 12mm. easiest brake conversion! but you would need 16 inch wheels or bigger! you can go for rs2000 brakes and keep up to 15 inch alloy wheels and also the cosworth brake conversion too and thats 278mm so wide range of choice!

easy to check a hose , undo the bleed screw if the piston will go back its a hose if not the siezed caliper :thumb:

Thanks to every one for replying so far I I've tried every thing suggested plus a postion resetting tool with no joy only thing I havent tried was loosening the nipple but I gonna have a Ganda over the week end if time permits , to many jobs not enough time , might see it in the for sale section soon I really could Do with the extra room but I have really fallen for this old girl plus with it being a tdi it's cheap as chips to run.

Crack the bleed nipple and push the piston back with either water pump pliers or I have found a g clamp works well on still pistons. Then get someone to pump the pedal out (with the nipple done up and caliper off) and just work it until it frees up...not a permanent fix but works until you can get a new caliper :)