What fault code reader

stuey650

I've got a 2003 0ctavia vrs and occasionally the engine is dying on me, doesn't stall but won't take throttle, change down a gear and give it the boot it recovers, I'm assuming some sort of sensor or injector fault. I want to put it on a fault code reader rather than randomly replace parts on the off chance. Of course I could take it to a garage but I'd rather invest in a code reader as I'm sure it's something I could use in the future time and time again. What do other people have and what would they recommend. I'm seeing handheld ones from £35 upto a couple of hundred quid and not really sure what I need. Opinions welcome! Cheers

With the cable though I'd still need seperate software? What's cheap or free?

said it before, Torque (available on android and Iphone iirc) happily reads ECU fault codes all day long on anything with a OBD2 port, worked great on my dads Vauxhall Agila(sp) and my older sister new Scirocco(again sp).

two entirely different makes of car and it quickly spotted a O2 sensor fault & some other random one with a load of numbers I don't recall on the agila and PN***(more numbers I didn't note) on the sisters VW, she took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find anything visually until they hooked it up to their diagnostics stuff and I assume located the issue.

don't know just how much more accurate it is as Ive never found a fault code on the missus saxo but did reset the service light one time.

best bit is......... its free for the bog standard app (which iirc comes with the fault reader software pre-installed) and you only need pay for the full app if you want the extra bells a whistles.

• 4 weeks later...
With the cable though I'd still need seperate software? What's cheap or free?

said it before, Torque (available on android and Iphone iirc) happily reads ECU fault codes all day long on anything with a OBD2 port, worked great on my dads Vauxhall Agila(sp) and my older sister new Scirocco(again sp).

two entirely different makes of car and it quickly spotted a O2 sensor fault & some other random one with a load of numbers I don't recall on the agila and PN***(more numbers I didn't note) on the sisters VW, she took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find anything visually until they hooked it up to their diagnostics stuff and I assume located the issue.

don't know just how much more accurate it is as Ive never found a fault code on the missus saxo but did reset the service light one time.

best bit is......... its free for the bog standard app (which iirc comes with the fault reader software pre-installed) and you only need pay for the full app if you want the extra bells a whistles.

Cheap at Amazon just now - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bluetooth-...lfilled-1530903