A "help me choose a car" thread

Craig855S

Moving house soon guys and an estate car will help with the move and definately make getting the dog round a bit nicer for him. Looking to replace my S60 D5 (which is probably worth just over a grand on a good day) with an estate car and I'm struggling to pick which car never mind which precise one. Thoughts I've had are

Volvo V70 Diesel (Phase 2 so same shape as my car)

Volvo V70R petrol (at my budget it'll be a phase 1 but i actually like that shape). Downside with this is the economy, most are autos making it even worse, but maybe the grin factor will make me glad it's cosing me 2.5x as much in fuel

MG ZT-T CDTI (very cheap these and i think they look good and look a bit posh compared to mondeos and vectras

BMW E39 tourer (probably struggle to get a derv in budget, and would have to be manual, wont go near a BMW autobox again)

BMW E46 tourer (again would have to be manual, but the 320Ds are in budget

Any suggestions,

Mk3 mondeo is a no, as is vectras, I dont feel audis and VWs to be honest as at that price you'd have to get one from the era where the interiors were the meaning of bland. However i did once see a 1998 passat estate that was modified and looked very good

if you categorize your stated options in simple terms it looks something like this:

Volvo - economy

Bmw - grunt

MG - looks

all you need to do is weigh up which is the deciding factor? what are you wanting it primarily for?

personally though I still find I appreciate the Volvo's styling over the other two (yes including the MG), something about the way the cars look gives me the impression that their purposeful somehow.

• 3 weeks later...
Octavia is a good call, I know a couple of people with them and they love them.....but then again it doesn't have the class of the BMW or Volvo.

MG would be a great choice for something a bit different....I'm sure there are quite a few around but doesn't feel so common as a Volvo or BMW.

Focus estate is god choice - plenty of space

Octavia is a good call, I know a couple of people with them and they love them.....but then again it doesn't have the class of the BMW or Volvo.

MG would be a great choice for something a bit different....I'm sure there are quite a few around but doesn't feel so common as a Volvo or BMW.

Focus estate is good choice - plenty of space

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps. I went with a phase 1 (R plate) V70 TDI in the end as a straight swap for my S60 (which I would have struggled to shift on for much more than £1000)

It's got tired rear dampers but is absolutely top of the range with ice cold A/C, dual zone climate, heated full leather, built in dog guard and built in centre booster seat. All it needs is new rear dampers and some Di-Noc carbon fibre to cover the nasty walnut inserts and I'll be well chuffed with it, and I got well over 50MPG on the run home in it. Pics to follow after Ive given it it's first bit of love