Absolute f**king nightmare.

Phill

The plan today was to fit my lowering springs.

The reality was lots of swearing, an entire day outside messing around with the front wheels, and a total failure to even get the existing struts off.

The part that caused a near mental breakdown was removing the lower arm balljoint from the spindle (page 10.3 in Haynes, for anyone wanting to know how to do it).

I removed the clamp bolt and nut, prised open the joint... and then the problems started. Haynes says simply: "detatch the lower arm balljoint from the spindle".

Except it wouldn't come out. My dad and I spent a good three hours trying every method we could think of to get the balljoint to drop off the spindle, but nothing worked - it comes halfway out and gets stuck. We tried turning the steering wheel in various different positions, hammering on the lower arm, jacking up the brake disc and hammering the lower arm, prising it out, nothing worked.

All we managed to do was wreck the balljoint. I'm now very knackered, extremely pissed off and have got precisely nowhere. :vangry:

If anyone has any ideas on how the fcuk you get the Fcuking thing out, I'd be more than grateful.

Here's some pics of how far we managed to get. Nothing we can think of will get the lower arm any further down.

051103-Wheel%201.JPG

051103-Wheel%202.JPG

051103-Wheel%203.JPG

051103-Wheel%204.JPG

The car itself was on axle stands, we just put the jack under the disc to try getting the balljoint out at different angles.

Ian, do you mean the joint where the bolt and nut went through, that the balljoint is in? If so, already tried that by prising it open with a screwdriver, can't open it any wider.

I really need to get this out, it's totally stuck at the moment, so I have no car!

First remove the ati roll bar linkage and the brase hose clamp

you are ment to remove the bolt that holds the strut in the hub and just hammer the hub bearer down IT will come out.

Then lousen the top strut bolt (DONT TOTALY UNDO IT)

Now undo the 2 bots holding the stut in

A lot of fiddeling at diffrent angles and you will get the strut out

MAke sure you use spring compressors b4 undoing the strut assembaly.

Asembaly is the reverse of removal.

But you can jack the hub up to get the strut back in