pc prob

Benny

Ive had this pc for quite a wile and its getting a bit clogged up so i done a de-frag thing but i only have like 7.33gb of free space left on my C drive and was wondering is it possible to combine my C drive with my D drive as i have 25.7 gb left on that. If i can would it speed up my pc a bit :thumb:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first,

get ccleaner or cleanup google them to find the download

secondly, dont store music, videos etc on c drive, keep it seperate from your downloads too

so just transfer all your storage to your d drive, and keep c drive just for programs install

next get vistas manager, im assume your using vista, loads of options to clear you registry, disable start up items etc etc to make your pc run smoother

keep upto date with windows update

then you should have pretty much clog free smooth running pc

i think you'll find its the RAM that is slowing your pc down ... cant cope with everything thats running

Without actually knowing how much ram he has (as he didnt say) im going to go with the suggestion there are too many startup & background tasks.

How many icons are running in your taskbar to the right? Can you tell us what you have running there (next to the clock and moving to the left of it)?

1GB isn't enough for Vista really.. i'd be looking at 4GB+ for Vista to run happily (anyone who says it's fine on less hasn't run it on 4+).

7gb free space on C: is fine too.. don't waste your time defragmenting.

1GB isn't enough for Vista really.. i'd be looking at 4GB+ for Vista to run happily (anyone who says it's fine on less hasn't run it on 4+).

Indeed, if you are running Vista your ram will be eaten up straight away before even starting an application.

Ram is stupidly cheap these days & as stu says grab 4gb.

You dont need any of those running in your task bar (volume wont be causing any probs though).

Disable all those other tasks from the startup ( plus anything else you can run manually rather than at startup) & reboot but do get more ram.

Edit: you finaly told us your OS lol.

Use msconfig to check your startup programs & untick any you dont need, you can start them any time manually.

Msconfig can be accessed by Start- Run_ then type msconfig

Edited by PeeWee

Benny- can you explain why you think it's clogged up? Is it purely because you think 7gb free space isnt enough?

I have been having problems with web pages hagging for about 30 to 45 seconds then they open so i thought that the pc might be all clogged up with crap lol. As you could probably guess i have not go a clue about pc's ive done the ccleaner thing and that seem to have made things run faster and ive also restarted my rougher and done a speed test and i am getting 9meg download speed and 650 upload speed. I will also get some more ram from pc world at the weekend

Indeed, if you are running Vista your ram will be eaten up straight away before even starting an application.

You dont need any of those running in your task bar (volume wont be causing any probs though).

Disable all those other tasks from the startup ( plus anything else you can run manually rather than at startup) & reboot but do get more ram.

Use msconfig to check your startup programs & untick any you dont need, you can start them any time manually.

Can i just click on the load basic devices and services only

Can i just click on the load basic devices and services only

Cant you just click on the startup tab like i suggested?

Although with the added info you gave im more likely to go with what stu mentioned.

Have you cleared all your cache & history on the tools options menu on your browser?

In fact what browser are you using & also what protection do you have?