pc prob

Benny

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1GB isn't enough for Vista really.. i'd be looking at 4GB+ for Vista to run happily (anyone who says it's fine on less hasn't run it on 4+).

7gb free space on C: is fine too.. don't waste your time defragmenting.

Indeed, if you are running Vista your ram will be eaten up straight away before even starting an application.

Ram is stupidly cheap these days & as stu says grab 4gb.

You dont need any of those running in your task bar (volume wont be causing any probs though).

Disable all those other tasks from the startup ( plus anything else you can run manually rather than at startup) & reboot but do get more ram.

Edit: you finaly told us your OS lol.

Use msconfig to check your startup programs & untick any you dont need, you can start them any time manually.

Msconfig can be accessed by Start- Run_ then type msconfig

Can i just click on the load basic devices and services only

Cant you just click on the startup tab like i suggested?

Although with the added info you gave im more likely to go with what stu mentioned.

Have you cleared all your cache & history on the tools options menu on your browser?

In fact what browser are you using & also what protection do you have?

I have avg protection and i think i have internet explorer 8 if there is a better one then could you let me know and i will download it :thumb:

i think you'll find its the RAM that is slowing your pc down ... cant cope with everything thats running

Without actually knowing how much ram he has (as he didnt say) im going to go with the suggestion there are too many startup & background tasks.

How many icons are running in your taskbar to the right? Can you tell us what you have running there (next to the clock and moving to the left of it)?

The systray, Peter.

7gb is not a great deal, and I don't recall anyone answering his original question, however, I'd like screenshots of the running services in task manager before saying there's too many. 1gb of RAM for XP SP3 isn't going to be amazing under any conditions.

Scoop, lol, there could be a bazillion reasons for slow website loading.

i think you'll find its the RAM that is slowing your pc down ... cant cope with everything thats running

Without actually knowing how much ram he has (as he didnt say) im going to go with the suggestion there are too many startup & background tasks.

How many icons are running in your taskbar to the right? Can you tell us what you have running there (next to the clock and moving to the left of it)?

The systray, Peter.

7gb is not a great deal, and I don't recall anyone answering his original question, however, I'd like screenshots of the running services in task manager before saying there's too many. 1gb of RAM for XP SP3 isn't going to be amazing under any conditions.

Thats the bugger cheers, ffs couldnt for the bleedin life of me think for a bit pmsl. :baby:

The systray, Peter.

Thats the bugger cheers, ffs couldnt for the bleedin life of me think for a bit pmsl. :baby:

If you're being serious, then lol. I do the same at work all the time. Forget the name of basic things, and just wing it on the phone.

If you're being sarcastic, then fcuk off :P

The systray, Peter.

If you're being serious, then lol. I do the same at work all the time. Forget the name of basic things, and just wing it on the phone.

If you're being sarcastic, then fcuk off :P

No! seriously i was being serious & yes i do it a lot, I teach IT too pmsl.

Ive had this pc for quite a wile and its getting a bit clogged up so i done a de-frag thing but i only have like 7.33gb of free space left on my C drive and was wondering is it possible to combine my C drive with my D drive as i have 25.7 gb left on that. If i can would it speed up my pc a bit :thumb:

Ok, so back to the original question - yes you can combine drives if they are 2 partitions on the same physical disk. IMO the best program is PowerQuest Partition Magic (the one doinkmilll was thinking of). It can also resize partitions. No, it won't speed things up - as others have suggested, you probably have a dialer virus or similar, although you can check for enough RAM by right clicking the taskbar and choosing Task Manager. Click Performance and see how much memory you are using - if you're using more than you've got then your pc will behave like a slug. Max RAM that XP 32 and Vista 32 can use is 3GB - only 64 bit operating systems can use more. OMG I'm a geek

yes you can combine drives if they are 2 partitions on the same physical disk. IMO the best program is PowerQuest Partition Magic

this is actually way better than partition magic (which is what i used to use).. found it by chance: Paragon Partition Manager

Max RAM that XP 32 and Vista 32 can use is 3GB - only 64 bit operating systems can use more.

its actually 3.25gb.. although vista has been "fixed" to actually report 4gb so people dont moan theirs something wrong with windows (i think theyve done the same with xp sp3 as well) :thumb: