Media center software?

smithyandco

Microsoft SQL is installed... came in the Visual Studio bundles.

And it's updated

I did select that I wanted to watch HD content during installation.

Like I said... no reason why it should be arsing around

did you set it up as above? it sounds to me like MP has installed on your computer but it cant access the tv server through MSSQL. try reinstalling it (SQL) and setting up the password as above, then try going into tv server configuration (on your desktop). it will ask you to choose your SQL database, and enter the password. itll connect to the database, at which point you save the settings, start the tv service and scan your channels.

its a bit of a steep learning curve and it took me a good while to get it all up and running as well, but perservere with it cos its awesome. :cheers:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to Hijack, I've been trying to install this as well, Downloaded all the 'essentials' but I just get a message saying:

"Net framework 2.0 is installed but service pack 2 is required for this installation"

Im running SP3... anyway of getting around this? ?(

Try installing .net 3.5

.NET Framework 3.5

<just had a nose>.....nope....feckin things stumped me :pancake:

click the link it takes me to microsofts homepage(obviously) where it promptly tells me I need vista to have the media centre, have a nose round, couple of searches....and still not a clue X(

Ive only recently installed this version of XP Pro from a brand new un-opened certified cdrom and installed SP3 and all that bollix...

....think Ill do a frenchie and surrender.... Ill just put up with not having me tunes linked to my Xbox :D

Edited by shawdreamer

Sorry to Hijack, I've been trying to install this as well, Downloaded all the 'essentials' but I just get a message saying:

"Net framework 2.0 is installed but service pack 2 is required for this installation"

Im running SP3... anyway of getting around this? ?(

no it means .Net Framework SP2. you can get it here... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...1d-10e506da9d0f

cant believe people are having problems installing this. Clicking 'start installation now' usually downloads everything you need automatically, ive installed it on loads of machines without problems :unsure:

cant believe people are having problems installing this. Clicking 'start installation now' usually downloads everything you need automatically, ive installed it on loads of machines without problems :unsure:

Quite possibly a different version/build than you installed...

2f2f is having issues with .NET framework... the issues being the correct framework versions not being there.

I'm having problems with the original plugins... which doesn't change if reinstalled and there is no error or log to look through to find the full cause of the issue.

Have you got an older build(Than 1.0.1)? If so... do you have the installer?

Quite possibly a different version/build than you installed...

2f2f is having issues with .NET framework... the issues being the correct framework versions not being there.

I'm having problems with the original plugins... which doesn't change if reinstalled and there is no error or log to look through to find the full cause of the issue.

Have you got an older build(Than 1.0.1)? If so... do you have the installer?

theres a download page of all the older versions of MP here. you could try an older version, but id recommend starting with version 1.0 as the tv engine is vastly better that the 0.x.x.x releases (pausing/rewinding/recording tv is instant and a lot less processor hungry).

2f2f is having problems because he installed the wrong version of .NET framework (he needs .NET 2.0 service pack 2, which i added a link for above).

by the way, what happens when you try to open MP thats making you think theres a bug in one of the plugins? Did you manage to get SQL working? you can turn the plugins on/off in MediaPortal configuration (down the bottom in plugins on the left hand side).

im using 1.0.1 by the way.

by the way, what happens when you try to open MP thats making you think theres a bug in one of the plugins? Did you manage to get SQL working? you can turn the plugins on/off in MediaPortal configuration (down the bottom in plugins on the left hand side).

im using 1.0.1 by the way.

Closes when the "Loading Plugins" prompt is displayed... something MediaPortal's creators have already said could well be a bug...

I don't have to get SQL working as such as it already works fine...

The problem with turning off plugins is that I'll have to turn off the plugins needed for this application to be any use to me... thus being pointless.

I'm going to try 1.0 and see what happens.

Sounds like a typical experience with media centre software to be honest. I tried almost everything a while back and found most to be a hideous experience. I settled on xpmce and even that shits itself on the tv receiver service every now and again :(

Sounds like a typical experience with media centre software to be honest. I tried almost everything a while back and found most to be a hideous experience. I settled on xpmce and even that shits itself on the tv receiver service every now and again :(

Looks like I'll just have to rebuild the media center... and slap XP Media center or Vista Ultimate on there...

I have seen some linux dsitros designed for Media Center use... they could be interesting...

I'm not slapping media center or Vista on this PC just for the sake of watching TV... But it would make media sharing with the crap new 360 network sharing service a lot easier... So I'd still get a media center on my TV.... :(

Why couldn't MS keep things simple? :vangry:

Edited by phil-smith.tk

Looks like I'll just have to rebuild the media center... and slap XP Media center or Vista Ultimate on there...

I have seen some linux dsitros designed for Media Center use... they could be interesting...

I'm not slapping media center or Vista on this PC just for the sake of watching TV... But it would make media sharing with the crap new 360 network sharing service a lot easier... So I'd still get a media center on my TV.... :(

Why couldn't MS keep things simple? :vangry:

Nooooooooooooooooo!! Dont go over to the dark side :pancake: im determined to get this working for you.

Im certain its an SQL problem, you need to reinstall it as 'mixed mode' and set up a password for MP to log into it. Your tv engine is obviously looking for the tv database when booting up, not finding it and then dying a horrible death.

Failing that though, install 0.2.3.0. its very stable and much easier to install (you dont need SQL or any of that bollox). i used it for years before upgrading to 1.x.0.

Edited by eetaylog

Nooooooooooooooooo!! Dont go over to the dark side :pancake: im determined to get this working for you.

This is it's last chance! :roll:

Im certain its an SQL problem, you need to reinstall it as 'mixed mode' and set up a password for MP to log into it. Your tv engine is obviously looking for the tv database when booting up, not finding it and then dying a horrible death.

It's not an SQL problem... MS SQL and MySQL both run perfectly well and passwords are set.

I've tested with both (obviously on different attempts)

Failing that though, install 0.2.3.0. its very stable and much easier to install (you dont need SQL or any of that bollox). i used it for years before upgrading to 1.x.0.

I'll give it a go...