Stupid Laptop Dies :(

cosmicnutter_1993

Right.. i have a problem, and im going to throw my laptop at the wall if i dont sort it. I have been using it flawlessly for the last year and a half, and now it is playing up. I put in a new hard drive in october, and more ram in about the same time. Neither of these seem wrong, the laptop was fine for months. But the last week or so, the laptop has decided it will die. I turn it on, and can be using it for hours, and it will beep occasionally, seems to be from around the hard drive, but i cannot guarantee this. Then it will cut out. But lately it seems to be getting a lot more frequent, this time it died within 20 minutes. The tits at my local shop in town want £50 to diagnose the fault, telling me it is either the hard drive beginning to fail, or its overheating and the CPU is causing it to automatically cut out. Eitherway, it is going in the bin if it dont get sorted, and the tw@ts can bugger off if they think ill give them £50 just to have a look at it. What do you all think? Anyone selling a laptop hard drive also if it is that?

Ive taken the laptop bottom off, and it is clean around the CPU, infact it is clean everywhere. i used that spray air stuff anyway just incase any dust was hiding. Do you think the CPU could be fooked?

Unlikely but possible... Tried the laptop since the clean up?

Now try some hardware monitoring application and check what temp the cpu rises to...

If it is heat now caused by dirt it could be a few other things including the heatsink coming away from the cpu die, thermal material/compound deteriorated, fan not kicking in etc, etc

is it a HP laptop?

mine beeps now and again but dont know what is causing it!

your computer would not get into the operating system if the cpu is fooked!

did you separate the cpu from the cooler as the heat sink paste might not be sufficient to cool it down?

check the fan for the cooler is spinning as the air duster can spin these up to an amazing speed and break them as ive done it in the past.

if not check the bios it might have a hard disk drive checking tool

Overheating issue...

I would say whack some new thermal pate on the CPU. :)

:unsure:

http://www.recipetips.com/images/recipe/appetizers_and_snacks/chicken_liver_pate.jpg

I'm not so sure that replacing the thermal paste will be sufficient tbh.

More to the point have you ever stripped & applied paste to a laptop cpu?

Not quite as simple as a desktop.

Can I be so silly as to request where the fan outlet is?

Some are placed underneath, if so then you need to raise the laptop, wild stab but its happened to me.

Edited by PeeWee

Like people have said, look for a temperature monitor, and check for any increases in temp/spikes. "Speedfan" is a good one - google it. If you notice any irregularities in that, then it'll probably be CPU overheating. Otherwise just check that the HDD cable is proper in place, both at the Hard drive end and the Motherboard end. Might just be a loose connection?

The Acer 5 series laptops (The white shell ones) were pretty bad for overheating. I have seen numerous times.

I have also seen a few that suffered from constant rebooting at complete random, my girlfriends was like this. I updated the bios and the problem was solved so I assume there is some kind of buffer overflow happening.

I would try updating the bios since you have also added in newer components.

I would also run a Mem test since faulty memory can cause all sorts of odd issues.