Car PC

eetaylog

Theres not really much talk about these on here, but does anyone have one? i know that Stu built one but never installed it.

Im thinking of building and installing one to store and handle all my music and films etc and hopefully setup a running satnav system. Theres tons of info on mp3car.com but im only just getting started with the build architechture as up to now ive only ever built mains powered desktops.

Theres not really much talk about these on here, but does anyone have one? i know that Stu built one but never installed it.

Im thinking of building and installing one to store and handle all my music and films etc and hopefully setup a running satnav system. Theres tons of info on mp3car.com but im only just getting started with the build architechture as up to now ive only ever built mains powered desktops.

looked into it and dismissed it due to it being overcomplicated and more or less a bit of a white elephant considering all the functions you mentioned can all be acheived with a reletively decent spec dvd flipout headunit with sat nav connectivity, your average dvd disc will store 4.7Gb of Mp3's....how many albums can you listen to in a car? ?(

yeah id noticed that a lot of them sre using DC-DC regulators now rather than 240V inverters.

Are there any stand alone double DIN LCD screens on the market that has some kind of audio/video in (possibly VGA)? and if so, is there a double DIN fascia that i could use in my Mk6?

I saw this

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/21092.jpg

on ebay and thought it looked pretty good, but to be honest it looks a bit chinesey and id rather build my own so that i can customise it to my own specs (and id also rather all my musicc/videos be solid state rather than using cds/dvds).

I supose now you could just modify one of the mini PC's and use that, you could then wire in other monitors etc.. and then just unplug to take it around with you. The dell one even have HDMI.

bit of an expensive way of doing it though. would be much cheaper to build from scratch. the mini-itx motherboards with intel atom cpu would be pretty good for this type of thing, and you can pick them up for around £60

question, what functionality would you need an in car pc to be capable of? would it mearly be a novelty or practical?

practical. i want to store all my music on it so i dont have to bugger about with CDs any more. i also want to put a bluetooth and a GPS card in there so i can run a sat nav system and have a phone hands free all built into one unit.

something like this:

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/21093.jpg

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/21094.jpg

ahh i see, i was under the mis-guided assumption you ment a micro pc running an OS with monitor and qwerty keyboard :blush:

not quite. it will be a mini pc though, using a miniITX mobo etc with some kind of OS (linux or ubuntu) that boots straight to some kind of front end software. :thumb:

i think the miniITX baords can be mounted in double DIN enclosures (ie twice the height as normal in car CD players), so i could probably build the whole thing into the dash.

I've still got all my stuff in boxes that I bought for the orion, before alot of the fancy stuff was easily available in the UK.

I've got a DC-DC PSU, and I've also got a fancy bit of chippery that you link to the ignitiion that boots your pc up when you start the car, and switches it off when you turn the car off.

I've still got all my stuff in boxes that I bought for the orion, before alot of the fancy stuff was easily available in the UK.

I've got a DC-DC PSU, and I've also got a fancy bit of chippery that you link to the ignitiion that boots your pc up when you start the car, and switches it off when you turn the car off.

what specs did your kit have? im guessing it was before the days of the Intel Atom CPU? was your PSU a miniATX?