HDD's

sortedford

I was just going to go buy a couple of Spinpoint TB's from ebuyer, but there all out of stock, so i was looking at a 2tb Hitachi: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/171763

Anyone got any experience with these as i've not had an Hitachi branded one before.

Or would i be better with one of these?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166989 Samsung ECO green F2

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149459 Seagate 1.5TB

The 1.5's seem alot cheaper than the 2's so could be a good option for me to allow me to buy another at a later date, but what are the ECO's? and would i notice the difference between a 5900 and a 7200? its likely to have pictures, and maybe some games like the Sims?

Wouldn't notice much difference between 5400 and 7200rpm. If you want speed go for an SSD (solid state drive) but they are expensive!.

Out of your choice, I'd go for the Samsung, purely for brand reasons (although I've not heard a bad thing about a Hitachi.

The green drives are slow. There is a big difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm in real world performance.

Unless you have a specific requirement for a certain size drive, just buy whatever is cheapest per gigabyte of storage. Most likely 500gb or 1000gb drives fit the bill.

I have a load of 500's to shift if you need a few :)

The green drives are slow. There is a big difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm in real world performance.

Unless you have a specific requirement for a certain size drive, just buy whatever is cheapest per gigabyte of storage. Most likely 500gb or 1000gb drives fit the bill.

much for a 500gb drive? if its sata i have a pal who could do with a couple!

I'm thinking along the lines of £35 each, posted.

sounds good to me ill see what he says about that! make and model are they?

Would these do for a secondary HD on my PC?

Do I need to check the spec of my machine or is it just plug and play?

Do a little internet research £35 inc VAT delivered is the average price for a branded 500GB 7200RPM 16-32MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s drive brand new with 1-3years warranty.

Used/No warranty = £20 adverage

Are these some sort of special 10,000rpm drives? :pancake:

sounds good to me ill see what he says about that! make and model are they?

Western Digital 'RE' drives (the expensive ones)

If your PC has SATA ports they'll work. If not, you can buy SATA cards that slot in your PC for a fiver on ebay.

Would these do for a secondary HD on my PC?

If you have SATA and PATA ports (Both compatible with generic Windows drivers) on your motherboard then it will be a case of plug and play :thumb:

wouldnt buy any HDD's off stu, he'll sucker you in and then not sell them to you at the last minute. dont think ive forgotten sunshine.

im kidding of course. :pancake:

depending on what you need them for, the sammy eco greens are excellent drives. i bought 2x1Tb's for backup storage (therefore the slower speeds arent a problem for me).