wanting to build a PC - looking for advice

Danny1107

wanting to build a pc for gaming mostly and want to be able to use it on a hdtv, so the graphics card needs tv outs or preferably a hdmi port

looking for recomendations on motherboards, processors and graphics cards

and I'll be wanting to use at least 4gb of ram, so am I right in thinking I'll need a 64bit OS?

Thanks in advance for any help :cheers:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible to get XP 32-bit to utilise 3gb instead of the 2gb max.

This doesn't extend to 4gb... So 64-bit is the way forward for large memory users.

XP 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit

Motherboard... an Asus Gaming board would always be my first choice...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1283

^^ Something like that if I had the money

CPU wise... the most powerful you can afford... unless you plan to overclock. (Some lesser CPUs are better overclockers!)

Graphics wise...

If your an ATI fan... a 4890 or higher.

Nvidia 250GTS or higher

:thumb:

I dont have the money for that motherboard, just had a look on the overclockers site and found this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1495

is that any good? seems good to me for that price

that motherboard with this processor

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1272

and then the best graphics card i can afford + the biggest ammount of ram I can afford (probably 4x2gb ddr3 as I can get them relitivly cheap)

Why, exactly, do you want more than 4GBs of RAM for a gaming machine? Especially if you want a sub-£100 gfx card?

I do recommend Windows 7, though.

I will probaby be upgrading the graphics card at a later date, haven't got the money for anything much more expencive, just want a good, fast computer cause mine isn't the best and its not really worth upgrading, will build a new one up and my sister can have this, it will do for what she needs one for

stoo thanks for that link, was acctualy having a look at that earlier, seems good for the price

just waiting for my bank card to come through now so I can start ordering the stuff

XP 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit

Nothing wrong with XP 64-bit... :thumb:

Drivers were an issue... But since the boom of 64-bit MS operating systems, that's no longer the case.

It doesn't take much work these days to get say Vista 64-bit only drivers working with both XP 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit :thumb:

Slightly off topic, but if you're a student you can get a copy of 7 for £30 :thumb:

from where? does it matter what course I'm on/what hours I do? applied for a student bank account and was declined because I wasn't in Uni, I'm at college

Slightly off topic, but if you're a student you can get a copy of 7 for £30 :thumb:

from where? does it matter what course I'm on/what hours I do? applied for a student bank account and was declined because I wasn't in Uni, I'm at college