PS3 Q? upstairs - downstairs

900ss

My lad has a ps3 upstairs which he wants to use online

Is there a limit to how long the cable can be to connect to the rooter downstairs?

Also is there a particular type of cable needed

Think it will need to be 20m + in length

yes, you would need an Ethernet cable running from your router to the Ethernet terminal on the back of the PS3

alternatively, you could set him up wirelessly

on the ps3 menu, go to settings and scroll to the bottom for 'network settings'. Here you can configure the wireless setup, which will require your network ID/password

Cheers

I thought about wireless, but didn't want it to slow mine and another 2 pc's using the same rooter

They share the same rooter via a cable connection?

I take it that's right or will it make no odds to speed of the other machines if wireless is also enabled ?

max length of ethernet cabling is 100metres so 20m if fine. Doesn't matter if you do wireless or wired for ps3 at the end of the day the internet connection is being shared between 3 now instead of 2 so in theory could be slower. In reality you won't notice a difference unless on of them is constantly doing heavy downloads.

Go wireless with the PS3 (you may need to purchase a wireless router? but really your ISP should have been kind enough to have supplied you with one these days)

And make sure you're not doing heavy downloading on the 2 PCs while he is playing online or it will be useless for him

Go wireless with the PS3 (you may need to purchase a wireless router? but really your ISP should have been kind enough to have supplied you with one these days)

And make sure you're not doing heavy downloading on the 2 PCs while he is playing online or it will be useless for him

Co-sign.. my PS3 is actually hard-lined with an Ethernet and online play is fine during my girlfriends regular browsing/streaming on her laptop (wirelessly). However, if she's downloading a film / tv show etc, the PS3 is virtually unplayable online. It lags WAY too much and cuts out mid-game.

Maybe there is a way to control what speeds go where, but I don't know how and haven't checked

Co-sign.. my PS3 is actually hard-lined with an Ethernet and online play is fine during my girlfriends regular browsing/streaming on her laptop (wirelessly). However, if she's downloading a film / tv show etc, the PS3 is virtually unplayable online. It lags WAY too much and cuts out mid-game.

Maybe there is a way to control what speeds go where, but I don't know how and haven't checked

Depending what she's using to download them the answer could be easy.