Portable USB Hard Drives

wwwd

I've had a thread on External HD's (with power supplies) but now I'm after a small portable USB hard drive for the girlfriend.

She wants to backup her work, but I know she wouldn't be arsed with plugging it into both the computer and the power socket so to keep it easier I said I'd get her a USB drive she can just plug straight in.

So can anyone recommend a small 'passport' type drive? I know they just power up using the computer as a power source via USB.

Obviously the cheaper it is the better too.

Anything over 250GB would be fine.

There really isn't much difference in the quality on such devices, they're all much the same. You'll need a 2.5" based one to not require an external PSU.

250GB seems a lot for work? I am assuming though. You can get 32 or 64GB USB Flash sticks which are smaller?

One thing to watch out for, some need two USB slots (one for transfer, one for power supply). Just thought I'd mention it in case it is an issue.

Western Digital are quite good, had a mate that has one of these and he likes it: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/2144/1411/-/1...earchtype=genre

Play.com usually has some good deals.

Also, have you thought about online storage?

One thing to watch out for, some need two USB slots (one for transfer, one for power supply). Just thought I'd mention it in case it is an issue.

Western Digital are quite good, had a mate that has one of these and he likes it: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/2144/1411/-/1...earchtype=genre

Play.com usually has some good deals.

Also, have you thought about online storage?

That looks good, thanks for that.

Never really thought about online storage, probably too paranoid about people hacking into it and stuff!

Asda do these.

I use the 160g version. Just plug into usb no fuss no external power.

http://direct.asda.com/LaCie-Mobile-Disk-H...default,pd.html

Are LaCie reliable? Never really heard of them to be honest.

I picked up a Seagate 500gb for £49 out of argos the other month, was only meant as a short term stop gap while wiped and re-installed a fresh version of XP on my main Pc.

cant knock it atall really,

fast response access time

usb plug and play

not bulky or heavy

psu wire is thin and a fair length

as I said it was bought as a stop gap but Ive come to use regularly to safegaurd any work or images I wouldnt wish to loose if my OS crashed again.

oh almost forgot.....

unlike my previous externals this one actually let me run applications and even the memory heavy sims3 from it without issues saving me using valuable space up and cluttering up my internal HD

I picked up a Seagate 500gb for £49 out of argos the other month, was only meant as a short term stop gap while wiped and re-installed a fresh version of XP on my main Pc.

cant knock it atall really,

fast response access time

usb plug and play

not bulky or heavy

psu wire is thin and a fair length

as I said it was bought as a stop gap but Ive come to use regularly to safegaurd any work or images I wouldnt wish to loose if my OS crashed again.

oh almost forgot.....

unlike my previous externals this one actually let me run applications and even the memory heavy sims3 from it without issues saving me using valuable space up and cluttering up my internal HD

And no external psu?

He is looking for a 2.5" drive thats usb powered.