windows 7?

DeeJay

Im lookin at getting windows 7 but iv been looking around and the are a couple of versions (Home premium, proffesional, ultimate) what differences are there between them, also if it makes a difference it would only be for my home computer.

Also where is the best place to buy it from?

:cheers:

The names aren't really that misleading... Home Premium would do.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Op...productId=37595

Microdirect.co.uk

ebuyer.com

Of course, if you already have a version of XP or Vista, then you can get hold of the upgrade edition, which is cheaper.

Home premium 32/64bit retail is probably your best bet, and I would personally use 32bit for the time being but as the retail discs contain both, you dont have to worry about it.

Windows 7 really is quite nice. The microsoft version comparison site is here.

Shame about dropping ubuntu, you can do as I do and dual boot both. Linux is a bit of pain to use day in, day out though as it requires so much damn tinkering.

thanks for the quick replys I cant upgrade because im using linux/ubuntu at the moment and looking to change as I am not getting along with it, so want to go back to windows and thought if im going to buy it ill get 7, so home premium 32bit??

Depends on your hardware specs.

If you have a dual core 64-bit CPU, 4GB RAM and a semi-decent, day-to-day graphics card (Something like a nVidia 7200 128mb or above) then I would recommend Windows 7 64-bit.

Anything below that spec and your unlikely to notice any difference performance wise over Windows 7 32-bit.

And if your running a 32-bit CPU then Windows 7 32-bit is your only option until you upgrade.

:cheers:

to jump on the back of this - i've just 'aquired' a copy pre activated but upon setup it asks if i wan x64 or x86 i assume this is dualcore and quad core?

well i only have a INTEL CORE 2 CPU T5200 @ 1.6GHZ.....just to confirm i 100% DO need x32 dont i?

ah. a quick google returned that x86 is 32bit......confusing MF!

to jump on the back of this - i've just 'aquired' a copy pre activated but upon setup it asks if i wan x64 or x86 i assume this is dualcore and quad core?

well i only have a INTEL CORE 2 CPU T5200 @ 1.6GHZ.....just to confirm i 100% DO need x32 dont i?

ah. a quick google returned that x86 is 32bit......confusing MF!

The T5200 is a mobile processor... I'm assuming your installing onto a laptop?

With a low/mid-spec mobile CPU, your unlikely to have a decent amount of RAM for day-to-day x64 (64-bit) operation... although you might get away with it.

Your CPU is a x64 (64-bit) processor but is backward compatible with X86 (32-bit).

In simple terms, you can choose either option.

Recommendation: On laptops/notebooks it's usually hard to say either way... Personally, I'd try both and strain each to the limit to see which would be easier to cope with on a day-to-day basis.

If in doubt, stick to x86 (32-bit) :thumb:

You don't need 4gb for 64bit though do yo?, I have 64, and I only have 3gb ram and if I go to my desktop at anytime, I'm always only using 47% or less most of the time.

Optional/Advisable.

But these days more and more applications are getting power hungry.

Programmers these days seem to think everyone uses a gaming rig for accounting... :rolleyes:

The P4 based PC (768mb, NV FX5200) I use at work for administration tasks is seriously lacking these days. It struggles with new versions of Flash with the ability to let Flash devs push the hardware requirement boundaries even further.

Not great when you visit a suppliers website which is heavily loaded with "hi-def" quality Flash content :(

4Gb+ will allow for greedy x64 applications as well as allowing for some future proofing leeway :thumb: