portable hard drives

mrmetallica

is there any soft ware that will make a external hard drive apear like a mp3 player ?

on the car ive got usb port so want to use the extern hd to play music.it wont pick up is there a way to do it.

most stereos have a maximum Gb cap they'll except via usb port and often wont recognise any device plugged into them with a Gb level higher than the stated maximum.

eg.

stereo max usb Gb cap = 4Gb

external drive Gb level = 8Gb

result = stereo wont even ecknowledge the drives attached

.....least thats how it worked with my own previous usb equiped stereo :thumb:

is there any soft ware that will make a external hard drive apear like a mp3 player ?

on the car ive got usb port so want to use the extern hd to play music.it wont pick up is there a way to do it.

Its more likely the head unit cant put enough power to the hard drive. Im guessing you already tried usb pens?

Usb pens are far more viable due to the size & conveniance.

In essence the answer to your question is no, you cant install software to your head unit or to the hard drive.

most stereos have a maximum Gb cap they'll except via usb port and often wont recognise any device plugged into them with a Gb level higher than the stated maximum.

eg.

stereo max usb Gb cap = 4Gb

external drive Gb level = 8Gb

result = stereo wont even ecknowledge the drives attached

.....least thats how it worked with my own previous usb equiped stereo :thumb:

I have seen/had many headunits that simply reduce the capacity to the accepted gb allowed so not always correct.

I have seen/had many headunits that simply reduce the capacity to the accepted gb allowed so not always correct.

I did allways wonder if its how I had stored the music that might have been the issue.... I used to stored all my music in one file which totalled all in all about 7Gb when the stereo was rated for only 4Gb, maybe as it the stereo couldnt read a file that large it decided it wasnt gonna try and read anything :pancake:

I did allways wonder if its how I had stored the music that might have been the issue.... I used to stored all my music in one file which totalled all in all about 7Gb when the stereo was rated for only 4Gb, maybe as it the stereo couldnt read a file that large it decided it wasnt gonna try and read anything :pancake:

Yep! If like normal humans you had created folders with your albums containing seperate mp's im sure it would be fine. This also enables you to select each album an each track seperate instead of ff through a 7 gig file pmsl.

like peewee said its probably down to the power consumptions of the hard drive and not having enough to initialise it

Indeed, im guessing the drive didnt even light up the led status or spin.

Indeed, im guessing the drive didnt even light up the led status or spin.

to be honest i havnt tried it on the car.i havnt got it yet.just asumed the stereo wouldnt pick up a hd am i wrong ?

You didnt make that clear, in fact you made it look as if you already tried it.

No it wont work.

You didnt make that clear, in fact you made it look as if you already tried it.

No it wont work.

sorry.just i thought it wouldnt.is there a way to make the stereo think its a mp3 player ?

Its already been stated multiple times that the hard drive will need powering & the head unit wont fulfill its needs nor will it be likely to accept the size.

You didnt even state themake and model of your head unit to confirm this?

It has nothing to do with it being an mp3 player or not. A standard usb memory stick should work fine, it doesnt need to be an mp3 capeable player.

Edited by PeeWee

just use a 1 oe 2GB pen drive, and if you have too much music, buy a second pen drive...

You will find compatability issues with uber large pen drives as they are formatted differently to small ones (FAT16,FAT32 and all that balls)

You can format pens just as you format any drives, you dont have to rely on what its supplied at.

I use 4 gig sd cards in mine with no problem.

Edited by PeeWee

just use a 1 oe 2GB pen drive, and if you have too much music, buy a second pen drive...

You will find compatability issues with uber large pen drives as they are formatted differently to small ones (FAT16,FAT32 and all that balls)

You can format pens just as you format any drives, you dont have to rely on what its supplied at.

My camera can only run on "up to 1GB" compact flash cards, I thought the reason behind this was that the card had to be FAT16...and I dont think 2GB CF cards can be FAT16...

My camera can only run on "up to 1GB" compact flash cards, I thought the reason behind this was that the card had to be FAT16...and I dont think 2GB CF cards can be FAT16...

Depends on the hardware as always, compact flash is rather old technology and Fat16 even more so these days so im assuming the camera isnt that new? As I said im using sd cards, usb pens are not particulary new technology but placed into new devices it can be formated via a computer to suit the device.

Edited by PeeWee