Garden Decking

Right, i'm pretty sure and ready to build the decking in my back garden - i was just going to put the membrane down on the grass then build them frame ontop of that - but after reading up and actually thinking twice - the timber frame would constantly be on the wet ground....SO - i need to make small concrete posts to lift it off the ground just an inch, i dont need to use joists stuck in cement because i'm not going high - but what do i need to do???

i was hoping to just dig a 150mmx150mmx150mm hole and fill with cement and put a paving slab on every 400-500mm around the frame? no matter how many guides i read there's always conflictiing issues.......so before i go and cement the whole friggin garden over.....any body built their own decking or do it for a living that have recomendations?

Aaron :cheers:

If its just a platform with no handrails going round it then just use concrete blocks/paving slabs at each corner and some in the middle for support. I used bricks/slabs anything really as a base and raised mine up about a foot on 4x4 stilts, covered the sides with deck boards to hide the stilts. If the framework is properly constructed say 400 centres and the boards are laid at right angles to the joists then you wont have a problem. Plus if you ever want to move it you can just pick it up and position it somewhere else as i did when i built my conservatory.

Mines is just straight onto the ground, Its only about 4 by 4 meters or so, solid enough and does the job fine enough if your to a budget, Was about £120 quid all in if I mind right, instead of fancy membrane we used some industrial grade fish feed bags unused obviously and its done ideal

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x179/scottg17/IMAG0079-1.jpg

Fix 4x4 posts to the corners of the decking and cement into ground. Also apply a few more post around the edge of the decking and defo make sure you have at least one in the centre....again cement into ground. This will make sure the decking wont move. To support the inside areas get some slabs and dig a hole just a little bit bigger than the slab and fill with pea gravel to about 3 inch thick and lay your slab onto that... make sure slab is at least 1 inch from joist and then screw a post into jost so it rests onto slab. that should hold the frame work pretty secure.

Is the decking butting up against your house? If it is, make sure you dont build it above the damp coursing line in your brickwork or youll end up with mould inside your house. You can either leave a gap (~15-20mm) between the first plank and the brickwork, or just build it so it falls just short of the coursing.