MG ZS 180

caled

As supersport said, the uprated oil ladder and MLS head gaskets usually sort the issues directly caused by the head gasket design (assuming block porosity isn't the cause), repeated HGFs indicate either it wasn't done properly the first time, or theres something else causing the HGF (typically a leak or a blockage).

I think the cooling system was flawed to begin with, it had a strange design, it was a couple of years ago since i've seen one, so i couldn't tell you what was wrong with it, but it was a weird way of doing it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a rubbish cooling system design with thin easily broken pipe going into rad.

There are quite a few design issues that cause the problems with the K16's but they arent actually bad engines, just some rubbish parts used.

The one I bought my (now ex) missus is only 74K and 12 yrs old with original HG and no issues due to good coolant and lower temp thermostat.

Course it will be dead by the end of this year now as she treats cars badly and never opens the bonnet to check fluids etc and rags the crap out of them.

it was a rubbish cooling system design with thin easily broken pipe going into rad.

There are quite a few design issues that cause the problems with the K16's but they arent actually bad engines, just some rubbish parts used.

The one I bought my (now ex) missus is only 74K and 12 yrs old with original HG and no issues due to good coolant and lower temp thermostat.

Course it will be dead by the end of this year now as she treats cars badly and never opens the bonnet to check fluids etc and rags the crap out of them.

K16 is just the 1.6.........

Without going too far off topic i VERY much doubt that at 74k miles its on the original gasket. Im sure there was a thing on MG Rover.org about them going at around 40k.

Without going too far off topic i VERY much doubt that at 74k miles its on the original gasket. Im sure there was a thing on MG Rover.org about them going at around 40k.

K16 reffers to being K series 16 valve engine

my 214 was on original when I got it and I never changed it and was fine when sold with 80K. Guessing they bit the odd one properly?

K16 reffers to being K series 16 valve engine

my 214 was on original when I got it and I never changed it and was fine when sold with 80K. Guessing they bit the odd one properly?

No it doesn't...16K4K is 1.6 16v and 16K2K is 1.6 8v, just like 18K4K is 1.8 16v

As interesting as all this is, whats 4 cylinder rover engines and Stevmo's missus got to do with my car? Other than the latter and my back seat, of course.

That really did make me chuckle!!!

Back on topic though.....you need the bigger spoiler ;)

Pah nonsense. I've momentarily gone off it again.

I've decided that it doesn't really suit the car, whereas the low level one seems to round the rear end off nicely. Im still yet to find a picture that shows it though. If I clean the car this afternoon, Ill see if I can take some pictures to show it.

I was at a party last night with a friend of mine who I convinced to buy a trophy blue mk1 180 (he loves it, of course). Showed him my car for the first time, and he immediately noted all the optional extras that were fitted to mine (sunroof, full leathers etc). Ive never heard a man whimper before.