MG ZS 180

caled

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ OOPS, are they easy to take off :innocent: They'd of only wanted £10 or sumthing for skirts...

theres two sets on ebay at the minute, both going for ~£45. They just unclip afaik, Ive never taken mine off.

Have a look under the bonnet, see if theres two little motors attached to a big black plastic manifold (if its a V6, they'll be on the left hand side as you look under the bonnet), I'll give you twenty quid for them if you grab em.

And AHMotorsport, Ive had that car for two years now and it still makes me smile every time I drive it. Brilliant car.

Terrible lol. No, in all honesty, its not too bad given the *ahem* stick I give it, ~27mpg on average. Thats mostly town driving and a bit of country roads, so it can do better than that on a motorway run. Even so, its still not a cheap car to fuel, but it sounds damn good when its going.

I agree about the K series, the head gaskets were an absolute disgrace. There are plenty of people on the MGR forums who talk about misdiagnosis etc etc, but the fact is there are numerous reasons why the head gaskets on the I4 K series go, and most of them are MGRs fault, hence why LR came up with fixes. They are supposed to be pretty reliable once the MLS kit and uprated fuel rail are in place, though. Fortunately, the KV6 isn't closely related to that engine...

Terrible lol. No, in all honesty, its not too bad given the *ahem* stick I give it, ~27mpg on average. Thats mostly town driving and a bit of country roads, so it can do better than that on a motorway run. Even so, its still not a cheap car to fuel, but it sounds damn good when its going.

I agree about the K series, the head gaskets were an absolute disgrace. There are plenty of people on the MGR forums who talk about misdiagnosis etc etc, but the fact is there are numerous reasons why the head gaskets on the I4 K series go, and most of them are MGRs fault, hence why LR came up with fixes. They are supposed to be pretty reliable once the MLS kit and uprated fuel rail are in place, though. Fortunately, the KV6 isn't closely related to that engine...

Tbh, i expected worse, i'm impressed considering it's 180 horse V6.

Aye they are supposed to be alright with that kit. Never built one to find out and nor do i want to! Soddin things! I sh!t you not, we did three head gaskets on two engines to get a Rover 75 to stop it failing, every time doing it exactly the same, 'wiggling' the head to keep the liners seated, checking the liner heights, skimming the heads, everything you could imagine, we also found they use the same gasket for both the 1800 and 1600, or something like that.

Ive found that to keep a sensible mpg, you need to keep the revs below the VIS activation point. Probably less to do with the mechanics of it and more to do with the fact that once you hit it, all hell seems to break loose. Nearly caught me out a few times when I first got it.

Strange you had to do the headgasket so many times on two engines, you sure there wasnt a leak elsewhere? Repeated HGF tends to point to another issue elsewhere, and the HGF is the weak point that breaks because of it.

I was originally tempted to get a 120 (the 1.8 K series), but the HGF issue and my policy of only doing stupid things mean I plumbed for the V6.

Tbh, i expected worse, i'm impressed considering it's 180 horse V6.

Aye they are supposed to be alright with that kit. Never built one to find out and nor do i want to! Soddin things! I sh!t you not, we did three head gaskets on two engines to get a Rover 75 to stop it failing, every time doing it exactly the same, 'wiggling' the head to keep the liners seated, checking the liner heights, skimming the heads, everything you could imagine, we also found they use the same gasket for both the 1800 and 1600, or something like that.

That's not bad mpg!! My ST170 does 27 around town.

As for the gaskets, the 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 K series all have the same head gasket!! I think the blocks are the same too just thinner liners for the bigger engines.

Was it not an uprated oil ladder in the sump? And not a fuel rail?

I've had a fair bit of dealings with bloody K series!! The engines are quite pleasant to work on really :)

Edited by hicksy

Liking the updates.

Is the K series the 1.8 engine in the Rover Coupes? I've been tempted by a few that have come up cheap on ebay with HG failure, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Can you still buy dealer parts for the old motors?

1.8.....HG failure....Sounds like a K Series... Steer well clear pal! Rule of thumb on those 25,000 miles until you need another one.

As supersport said, the uprated oil ladder and MLS head gaskets usually sort the issues directly caused by the head gasket design (assuming block porosity isn't the cause), repeated HGFs indicate either it wasn't done properly the first time, or theres something else causing the HGF (typically a leak or a blockage).

I quite fancy getting myself a project car to play with, something cheap with HGF and spend some time doing it up. Shame the 620Ti isn't a K series engine. Doing a HG isn't supposed to be too difficult.

The Coupe came in a couple of flavours, dependent on age. The older ones came with either a Honda 1.6 (216) or a 220 either n/a or turbo using the 2l T series. The turbos have also got themselves a torsen diff, i believe.

The latter ones were all K-series, either 1.6, 1.8 or 1.8VVC. It'll be these ones you'll see going cheap with HGF. The T series is supposed to be a damn strong engine, as is the KV6 in mine (touch wood...).

If you were going to pick up a car to play with, though, Id be tempted to get hold of a ZS 120 with HGF and drop one of the T series turbos into it, Ive heard of a few done on the MG forums and they're supposed to be absolute monsters; fantastic handling and crazy amounts of power.