Cloud

PeeWee

We already have a lot of software easing towards cloud computing in the shape of google docs, office, online drive storage, music software, web design and many more.

Are we looking at a whole new way of computing for the future where non of our software will reside on our computers. Will the future see us using slimline laptop based computers with only an operating system needed for all our needs? No more DVD, no more installing?

Discuss?

We already have a lot of software easing towards cloud computing in the shape of google docs, office, online drive storage, music software, web design and many more.

Are we looking at a whole new way of computing for the future where non of our software will reside on our computers. Will the future see us using slimline laptop based computers with only an operating system needed for all our needs? No more DVD, no more installing?

Discuss?

Ive wondered about that myself tbh.

but.....

I cant understand why anyone would wish to do so?

I don't care how much "safeguarding" is done, isn't further increasing the danger of your information and property being stolen a bit lacking in sense?

Its not like computers are getting bigger afterall? why do we need to loose the pc entirely......5 years from now you'll likely be wearing your current high spec pc tower as a feckin watch anyway. :rolleyes:

myself, Ill not be using "the cloud" given the choice.... Im quite happy storing MY property on MY physically existing pc were I know exactly were it is rather than some virtual box cheers :pancake:

I use google docs, and it is a great idea, but its for data that is worthless really, don't see it taking off in business's.....yet?

I was using google docs in our organisation as far back as a few years ago.

I used it to store Lesson plans & teaching resources between our different offices accross cheshire so they were accessible easily online. Worked a treat & solved various needs we had at the time.

You do realise it's just a buzz word right ?

'Cloud Computing' has been going on for years, bit like how Virtualisation was invented and used by IBM in the 1960s

Yep! Like I said, been using it for years my self. What I do see now though is it being developed on a much more serious & versitile scale. See my topic in the spotted section, those audio workstations are rather cool & far beyond what has gone before in the virtual world.

I work for Orange and cloud computing is the next big thing to take off. All the large corps are looking into it now as a way to save money.

I work for a large Corp and exactly what he's said, it's going that way, save cash and staff...