Metal fabricator/motorsporty people needed

andaba

Alright guys,

I've got a bucket seat to put in my Bimmer, but i'm lanky and it's a bottom mount seat so i've got to get some custom brackets made up. Does anyone know any fabricators that would be able to knock them up for me?

I have all the designs sorted, and they are only simple, but are a bit much for my tools/skills to handle. They are essentially 2 rectangles (15cmx55cm) of flat, fairly thick steel (5mm+) sheet with 6 holes in each.

If anyone can help/knows anyone that can help me out, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers all.

Alright guys,

I've got a bucket seat to put in my Bimmer, but i'm lanky and it's a bottom mount seat so i've got to get some custom brackets made up. Does anyone know any fabricators that would be able to knock them up for me?

I have all the designs sorted, and they are only simple, but are a bit much for my tools/skills to handle. They are essentially 2 rectangles (15cmx55cm) of flat, fairly thick steel (5mm+) sheet with 6 holes in each.

If anyone can help/knows anyone that can help me out, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers all.

got any drawings of said brackets mate, just flat bar i take it or box section,

would need all dimensions and all holes marked from the same datum point to ensure accurate measurements.

I'll improve my drawings a bit and upload them tomorrow. I was going for flat (pretty thick) plate as it requires no welding and keeps my head away from the ceiling!

aye I can understand why you'd wanna minimize space taken up as Ive previously fitted Special Edition Rover Vitesse Recaros into a Mk5b and that was a thoroughbred squeeze (had to sacrifice the the pneumatic seat lifter and tilt to make em fit in the end) but Id at least look at "L" plate steel as a minimum alternative over flat as the flat can potentially just curl up like a limp piece of bacon fat in a smack and you'll be seeing the steering wheel coming ever closer very suddenly.

"L" plate at least has more strength than flat if your dont wanna use box section....... you do realise that you wont need to use hefty box section to achieve a silly strong sub-frame dont ya?, 15mm cross-section stuff with a couple of bracing plates on diagonals across the frame will give you something silly strong to work with and doesnt raise the height to much if you work it round what ya need.

My son is building a bmw race car at the moment and had the same problem - 6ft 2. We couldn't use the existing mount as it makes the seat far too high, so that had to come out and he used an msa approved mounting kit which is basically 2 thick wall steel tubes which you weld low down across the footwell and 4 mount plates fitted to the tubes. You may need to consider doing the same.

OK, so basically here's a HD run through what i've got:

I like the Cobra bracket I have for 2 reasons - they raise me just enough to not be uncomfortable, and also all the holes in them are already threaded. So good security there. Combined with the seat already having threaded holes in the bottom, I fortunately don't need any captive nuts etc.

Here's a pic of what the Cobra bases look like - they go horizontally, much like SteveBs race car pics.

http://i41.tinypic.com/xqgc9g.jpg

I've got to sit fairly far back and low down due to my height/length, so I end up nowhere near the bolt holes. Here's my high tech paint.net drawing of what I need - hopefully this clears up the dimensions a bit more.

Click for full size: http://imageupload.org/thumb/thumb_208864.png

http://i40.tinypic.com/20jbe9.png

Hope this helps!

Edited by andaba