Game Lag

Ahmotorsport

Most internet providers have a fair usage policy (I don't know your provider or the plan you pay for)

A fair usage policy does not mean you get cut off, so you would still be able to email and browse. You would experience a possible cut or slowdown on peer to peer downloading, online gaming, video streaming all at certain peak times.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most internet providers have a fair usage policy (I don't know your provider or the plan you pay for)

A fair usage policy does not mean you get cut off, so you would still be able to email and browse. You would experience a possible cut or slowdown on peer to peer downloading, online gaming, video streaming all at certain peak times.

Righto. I'll try it again in the morning sometime! Cheers.

Well your system runs fine, the spec for that game you exceed (ok 2gig ram would be preferable but the minimum is 1gig).

Was it after midnight you found it ran ok?

Aye, well i don't know if you remember, but i had a gig to begin with (it played fine) but one 512mb stick packed up, so i bought a gig for it, still should buy another matching gig for it.

According to my post it was around about half 10.

Get on speedtest.net and tell us your speed down/up/ping, that will rule out actual internet lag

Just doing some Facebook stuff and i'll do that and let you know!

The PC or internet connection isn't up to it. Simples.

Windows Xp fully pathced is a beast. It takes 2gb RAM to run at a decent rate on its own.

If you need memory, let me know the speed (go to the crucial website) and I can send 1 or 2gb sticks for the price of postage :)

But it always was before. It was my brothers friends computer before and he used to play World of Warcraft on it which required higher specs than the game i play, not only that he used to be on it for 5 hours + a day.

I'll probably take you up on that, if the PC does require some serious work, i may even take it on myself, never done it before and it'd be an experience. I believe, when PeeWee was having a look, i saw that the max memory i could have was 3gb? Is this right?

Ping - 41 ms

Download speed - 12.44mbps

Upload speed - 0.86mbps

Just to add. Ram is PC3200 and i believe it to be 400mhz, but i'll have to check on that.

Well this is what Crucial said

DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 2GB

Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB

Total Memory Slots: 2

Available Memory Slots: 0

512MB

DDR PC3200

1GB

DDR PC3200

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Memory or DRAM is the 'working' memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.

video - installing memory

You may need to update your BIOS, but you should have a max of 4gb RAM. I've definitely got some at work you can have.

It doesn't matter how fast it was before. That's a very low spec PC if you're trying to online game.

Your internet speed is good.

Great, thanks mate, i'll let you know in the near future.

I agree, but surely, if it was perfect a week ago and it's not now, something has happened to it within the week? Got a few things to try before getting too serious though.

Great, that's good.

Has the game been patched at all? do your PC's fans speed up just before it begins to lock up? Maybe some fresh thermal paste?

To be fair the best solution would be a slightly better PC. A rig that can easily run Warrock can be had for pittence, i used to play warrock myself

You may need to update your BIOS, but you should have a max of 4gb RAM. I've definitely got some at work you can have.

It doesn't matter how fast it was before. That's a very low spec PC if you're trying to online game.

It matters if he was playing the game before with no hitches, His spec exceeds the minimum and beats the recommended bar an extra 512meg ram though?

I didn't check but have you direct 9 installed?

Edited by PeeWee

It matters if he was playing the game before with no hitches, His spec exceeds the minimum and beats the recommended bar an extra 512meg ram though?

There's nothing in my "Add or remove programs" bit that says Direct 9.

Edited by PeeWee

Sorry I meant directX 9c

Sorry I meant directX 9c

Pretty sure when i was having the sound issues (or around that time) i did that one.

Erm, within a week, these could change.....

Windows updates

AV updates

Game updates

Graphics driver updates

Any number of things he could have installed in the meantime.

A decent spec PC would laugh off the above, but any number of the above could cause issues for a PC that meets the minimum spec of the game.

Working in a corporate environment it never ceases to amaze me the damage a 250k Windows security update can do to a non-mainline application..... such as a free online shooter. This is why every Windows update is tested over and over again before being sometimes rolled out within a company. Bottom line is... you never know.

Edited by sidrick