Can you do better than this £100 stereo?

cherrybeard

Hi, saw this on offer at halfords and was going to treat my van to it! 2 pre-outs is a good thing for me and also Ipod/Iphone connections. It is supposed to be 50w of mosfet power (whatever that means), could I do better for the money?

Pioneer DEH-X6500 £100

I have already got bass and extra speakers sorted, nothing special, I still need to get tools in there too!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its in halfords the google the name and model number, may come up cheaper somewhere else like bass junkies or car audio centre etc

never had a pioneer radio but do have other pioneer stuff (surround sound at home) and thats decent so cant really comment on these, ive always steered towards sony for my radios and never had a problem with them

If your budget can stretch I have a nice Alpine dva-9861ri for sale, which is a lovely head unit for sound quality.

+1 for alpine over pioneer

just cant knock the sound qaulity of a Alpine, even a complete newcomer to audio equipment can hear the difference.

You are right, second hand would be more economical and I take on board the comments of Alpine over Pioneer. Probably wishful thinking getting a £300 stereo for £100 anyway.

Stu, what features are missing from that stereo to make you want to sell it? I did a search on it and it seems that the only specification missing is a built in crossover although they might be calling it something else. Can it send bass frequencies only from a pre-out, mid and high tones from a second pre-out and then high frequencies from the built in speaker outputs to tweeters? PM me price if you want.

Stu, what features are missing from that stereo to make you want to sell it? I did a search on it and it seems that the only specification missing is a built in crossover although they might be calling it something else. Can it send bass frequencies only from a pre-out, mid and high tones from a second pre-out and then high frequencies from the built in speaker outputs to tweeters? PM me price if you want.

It does have cross overs built in but possibly not as granular as you want - e.g. to have separate ones on low and high level outputs. Passive high-pass filters are just a cap anyway so easy to implement.

I gave up competition car audio and this is one of the few things I have left to sell. That's the only reason i'm selling! £175..

alpine over pioneer but new over second hand especially if it's been in audio comps (no offense stu) if the head unit has been driven hard, you have no idea what the capacitors, relays and all the circuitry inside is like and how long it will last. I'd go DAB anyway as they're getting rid of analogue radio soon, it'll all have to be DAB. no pooint in spending out now only to spend out again next year. 300quid stereo for 100nikker, you can't grumble at that - "it's a deal, it's a steal - it's sale of the ........century"

The amp in the head unit I'm selling has never been enabled. Don't assume!

was trying to put it nicely, but oh well. I assume you've used the laser in the cd player, the tuner and pushed a button, so the circuitry has been activated. As soon as you apply a current to the circuit board, the state of all the electronics inside the unit will be affected by the heat given off from the resistance of nearby circuits. If it's not DAB it's no use anyway as analogue radio will be obsolete in 2015. As I said, go DAB.

was trying to put it nicely, but oh well. I assume you've used the laser in the cd player, the tuner and pushed a button, so the circuitry has been activated. As soon as you apply a current to the circuit board, the state of all the electronics inside the unit will be affected by the heat given off from the resistance of nearby circuits. If it's not DAB it's no use anyway as analogue radio will be obsolete in 2015. As I said, go DAB.

car stereos in general are already obsolete so why "go dab" atall when you can replace the lot with a multimedia player and a well set up amp.

car stereos in general are already obsolete so why "go dab" atall when you can replace the lot with a multimedia player and a well set up amp.

i agree but the guy is looking for a simple stereo for his works van. i think that would be a little excessive. when I say 'go dab', i mean go for the pioneer dab stereo referenced at the beginning of the thread.

If DAB is going to be the mainstream in 2015 is it really worth putting off for three years buying a bargain stereo now (in reality from recent faze out of digital services you may as well call it 2018 tbf lol).

Anyway!

Aldi

£45 nuff said lol, seriously.

If DAB is going to be the mainstream in 2015 is it really worth putting off for three years buying a bargain stereo now (in reality from recent faze out of digital services you may as well call it 2018 tbf lol).

Anyway!

Aldi

£45 nuff said lol, seriously.

the only drawback there though Pete.......... you have to walk into a Aldi....... what if someone you know sees you go in?, you'd have to move house, change your families identities or suffer persecution, personally Id take the hari kari option

Edited by shawdreamer