zetec valves

scottybo

just a bit of advice if i may

refitted all the valves in my zetec head yesterday

all the hydraulic tappets went back in fine with a very small amount of oil one them

i threw a cam in while it was on the bench to spin slowly and make sure everything was ok. but some of the valves are opening further than the others, and some of them arent closing

any ideas? btw its a 130 cam thats gone in, and just out of interest how far should the valves open? the ones that are good open up so they poke out further than the bottom of the head if that makes sense, so they would be sitting in the cylinder. is that the norm?

any advice appreciated

just a bit of advice if i may

refitted all the valves in my zetec head yesterday

all the hydraulic tappets went back in fine with a very small amount of oil one them

i threw a cam in while it was on the bench to spin slowly and make sure everything was ok. but some of the valves are opening further than the others, and some of them arent closing

any ideas? btw its a 130 cam thats gone in, and just out of interest how far should the valves open? the ones that are good open up so they poke out further than the bottom of the head if that makes sense, so they would be sitting in the cylinder. is that the norm?

any advice appreciated

surely it wouldnt run like that

Some of the valves opening further than others will be down to the lifters not having oil pressure in them to maintain the valve clearance so some of the lifters will be pushing valves out less than others until there is oil pressure there.

However, the valves which are not closing is something I'd personally want to check out before I fitted the head, that sounds like the tappets for those valves could do with being "squeezed back" so that they are not holding the valve out like that, does that make sense?

no that makes perfect sense, how would you recommend resolving the issue? taking out the tappets and squeezing them all in? ive also got different sets of tappets, a set with a hole drilled in the side, and a set with a recess in the side, the drilled hole faces downwards

which ones should i be using? i kept all the tappets from the scrap 1.6 head, but i cant remember for the life of me which came from which head

current i have the recessed tappets fitted

I'm not sure which set of tappets would be the 1.8 ones and which would be the 1.6 ones, they're probably just 2 slightly different designs from different years so I would just say that as long as you have a complete set fitted it should be okay.

If you remove all of the tappets again you should be able to squeeze them back in a vice, just be very careful not to damage them while doing that, use something like a bit of wood between the vice jaw and the tappet face and you should get on okay. If you get them all squeezed back then it should stop the valves from being held out and not closing. Let us know how you get on!

• 2 weeks later...

removed all the tappets, took all the valves out, oiled everything and put back in, no different

what i did notice when trying to compress the tappets and squeeze all the oil out what that some of them are super springy and can be compressed with just your finger......and some of them are rock hard and don't move at all, even in a vice (i was extremely careful and stopped immediately after noticing that they weren't compressing

anyone have any ideas?????